Toyota FJ Cruiser Class Action Lawsuit Over Frame Rust Defect

Toyota FJ Cruiser Class Action Lawsuit Over Frame Rust Defect

A class action lawsuit against Toyota has been filed over allegations of frame rust and corrosion in 2007-2014 FJ Cruiser vehicles. The plaintiffs are seeking damages for the alleged defect, which they say causes the frame to rust and fail leading to serious safety concerns. Read on for more information about the Toyota FJ Cruiser frame rust lawsuit, and what it could mean for affected owners.

FJ Cruiser Frame Rust Problems

Plaintiffs allege that a manufacturing defect causes excessive rust and corrosion to the frames of 2007-2014 FJ Cruiser vehicles. The suit claims the defect weakens the structure of the vehicle, therefore posing a serious safety threat to vehicle occupants. In some cases, vehicles failed to pass safety inspection and are no longer safe to drive. As a result, owners find themselves stuck with a vehicle that is no longer legally allowed on the roads with a greatly diminished resale value.

Toyota Activity Marketed the FJ Cruiser with Special “Electrocoat Deposition” Rust Protection Coating

Despite Toyota’s marketing highlighting the “Electrocoat Deposition” protective coating, plaintiff’s claim FJ Cruiser frames prematurely rust and corrode at an accelerated rate. The suit states Toyota had been aware of the frame defect, but failed to disclose the defect to owners.

Testing and Analysis

Expert analysis has revealed that the FJ Cruiser frames were corroding under the epoxy. In fact, the analysis indicates the corrosion was a result of the zinc phosphate coating Toyota used being inadequate to protect against corrosion and rust. Analysis also documented the discontinuous nature of the zinc phosphorus layer (pretreatment) in all of the frames analyzed. As a result, the discontinuous coating allows sections of the frame to be unprotected and more likely to suffer rust damage.

In fact, plaintiffs’ extensive expert analysis confirmed that Toyota was aware of the frame defect. However, Toyota continued to market and sell the vehicles without resolving the corrosion defect.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Marketing Frame Coating
Toyota FJ Cruiser marketing highlighting special “Electrocoat Deposition” frame coating

Vehicles Affected

• 2007-2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Is It Safe To Drive a Car With a Rusted Frame?

It is not safe to drive a car with a rusted frame as rust is a form of corrosion that slowly eats the car frame. This corrosion turns the strong metal into flaky powder, eventually damaging it to a level where it’s structural integrity is compromised.

What is Electrocoat Deposition?

Electrocoat, also known as electrodeposition coating, is a method of painting that uses electrical current to deposit paint on a surface. This process involves the vehicle body to be immersed in a large E-coat bath. The coating is engineered to prevent rust from forming to both the outer surface and internal structures.

Status of the Toyota FJ Cruiser Frame Rust Class Action Lawsuit

Class Action Currently Active

This is an active class action lawsuit. This suit has been brought on behalf of the Plaintiffs and a class of current and former 2007-2014 FJ Cruiser vehicle owners.

Nazos et al. v. Toyota Motor Corporation et al. Case No. 2:22-cv-02214, was filed in the United States District Court for the Central District of California.

FJ Cruiser Owners’ Voices

“The chassis is so corroded and full of rust it has got to a point of loosing the strength and integrity of the whole body. This is very worrisome specially if the car is involved in an accident where the front part chassis cannot resist the impact.”

2007 FJ Cruiser Owner Complaint

“At 55,000 miles (6 years old) my front gravel shield had completely rusted off and was found in my driveway…I am terrified at the thought that I could’ve been driving and my control arms could’ve rusted off like my gravel shield did.”

2011 FJ Cruiser Owner Complaint

“Frame is rusting to the point it is about to break.”

2007 FJ Cruiser Owner Complaint

“I took my car in for an inspection at my Toyota dealership today. I was told if I’m going to sell it or trade it in that now would be the time to do it…The tech said there are some very weak areas on the frame and that it could fracture with impact or maybe will eventually by hitting a bad pothole…It seemed frightening to me that they suggested I sell it to someone else and not disclose this potentially life threatening issue.”

2008 FJ Cruiser Owner Complaint

Questions About This Lawsuit?

MyCarVoice.com is not counsel or the settlement administrator in this class action lawsuit. Our goal is to inform owners of these vehicles of the current lawsuit.

This post will be updated as more information is officially announced. Please consider subscribing to this post for critical updates.

Submit your Toyota FJ Cruiser Car Complaint

Last Updated on May 6, 2022

38 thoughts on “Toyota FJ Cruiser Class Action Lawsuit Over Frame Rust Defect

1. Avatar
    Frank
    April 7, 2022 at 10:53 am

2007 FJ. Undercarriage covered in rust. Nervous to drive it as the metal flakes keep falling off every single day.

2. Avatar
    Nathan Shaffer
    April 7, 2022 at 11:55 am

I have a 2007 Fj base 6 speed and I have not seen any rust with my vehicle but I also live in north texas. I am hoping to use my fj to travel to parts of the world that could cause minor rust and I cant do that if I fear my frame might fall apart.

3. Avatar
    George Powers
    April 7, 2022 at 12:55 pm

Had my 2007 FJ Cruiser inspected and was told the undercarriage is so rusted that I should sell or trade in before something dangerous occurs.

4. Avatar
    Ted
    April 7, 2022 at 2:47 pm

I have a 2007 FJ cruiser with rust. How do I become part of this lawsuit ?

1. Christopher
      Christopher
      April 7, 2022 at 3:42 pm

You don’t need to do anything, as you are automatically part of the suit unless you write a letter opting out. But I would either submit your car complaint here, or subscribe to this post. This way when news becomes available, you will be notified.

1. Avatar
        Layman
        April 7, 2022 at 4:09 pm

I have a 2007 fj cruiser and it has rust

2. Avatar
        Richard Wilson
        May 29, 2022 at 10:59 am

Nice to know that us fj owner don’t need to do anything to be apart of it.

5. Avatar
    Pat Gram
    April 7, 2022 at 4:28 pm

We have a 2012 and it is starting to rust…only 107k on it

6. Avatar
    Anthony Evans
    April 7, 2022 at 5:22 pm

I have a toyota fj cruiser also what do I have to do an I have a few more payment left

7. Avatar
    Samuel Steinmetz
    April 7, 2022 at 6:14 pm

I have a 2011 Trailteams edition FJ, I live in Tennessee and I purchased my FJ new and plan on driving it for a good long while, so with only minor frame rust at this time I’m concerned that this could become worse. Hopefully Toyota will take care of their vehicle problems before they get worse. This is not their first frame corrosion issue.
    A lifelongLoyal Toyota Custer.

8. Avatar
    Clint Sterba
    April 7, 2022 at 6:20 pm

I have a 2007 FJ and I’m worried too

9. Avatar
    James
    April 7, 2022 at 6:48 pm

Horrible rust on mine, had to garage it because it’s unsafe to drive. The pictures I have are telling of a huge frame issue. Contacted Toyota and they gave me the cold shoulder.

10. Avatar
    Ali
    April 7, 2022 at 11:00 pm

Have 2007 fj cruser lot of rust, spend lots of $$ to treat the frame, rust treatment and special under coating, am I going to get my $$ back?

11. Avatar
    Rob
    April 8, 2022 at 4:49 am

2014 fj 45k Rust……

12. Avatar
    Alec
    April 8, 2022 at 8:26 am

2014 FJ Cruiser, 50k miles the rust is awful. Flaking off and can push my finger through in spots. I am spending $3k to have it treated to extend the life of the frame a few years before I’ll need to do the $20k replacement

1. Avatar
      Jay
      April 15, 2022 at 11:28 am

Same situation with same model year, original owner as well. Looking into having it treated this year.

13. Avatar
    Aamir
    April 8, 2022 at 11:01 am

They should include all vehicles that share a similar platform. 4Runners, Tacoma’s, Tundra’s, GX470 and such should be included with the FJ Cruiser. I don’t see why Toyota won’t don’t anything to rectify their mistakes.

14. Avatar
    Garrett
    April 9, 2022 at 9:32 am

I live in Florida and I already have rust on my 07

15. Avatar
    Antonio
    April 9, 2022 at 10:50 am

I love my FJ but this is worrisome. I’d like to continue driving it for a long while but safety comes first. Hope issue is resolved, I’d like to stay posted.

16. Avatar
    Michael Gardner
    April 9, 2022 at 11:34 pm

I have a 2007 FJ cruiser and my frame is well questionable it’s not horrible but it is questionable and I would actually like to have it replaced because of the fact that it’s questionable the FJ originated back East and now is in the Midwest so not as bad roadwise but well yeah. If I could get the frame replaced that would be awesome because I have no intentions of getting rid of it.

17. Avatar
    Allison
    April 10, 2022 at 7:51 pm

I have been writing complaining seeking info on a lawsuit……my prayers have been answered!

18. Avatar
    LUIS
    April 12, 2022 at 8:37 am

I HAVE A 2007 TOYOTA FJ AND I REALLY WORRIED CAUSE MY WIFE DRIVES BACK AND FOURTH TO WORK, IF ANYTHING I THINK TOYOTA SHOULD TAKE THEM BACK IN, AND GIVE US THE SAME PRICE WE PAID FOR IT ON A NEW FJ CRUISER OR ANOTHER TYPE OF TOYOTA VEHICAL, I JUST DONT SEE TOYOTA DOING ANYTHING ABOUIT IT, OTHER THAN TRADING IT IN AND BILLING YOU FOR A NEW VEHICAL COMPLETELY, JUST SCREWING YOU OVER ON IT. BUT HOPFULLY THIS LAWSUIT MAKES A DIFFERENCE, WE BOUGHT OURS BRAND NEW AS A LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE DID.
    I HOPE THIS GO’S THROUGH.

19. Avatar
    Cheri
    April 14, 2022 at 12:28 pm

I have an 07 that has some rust, I almost lost my gas tank due to the rust breaking one of the bands holding it on. I don’t feel like it is normal for it to have the amount that it does.

20. Avatar
    Jay
    April 15, 2022 at 11:25 am

2014 FJ rust issues, original owner as well.

21. Avatar
    Mary Rivera
    April 20, 2022 at 4:36 pm

I purchased my FJ Cruiser brand new in 2007 and at only 5000 miles the entire brake line had rusted out. Toyota charged me almost $4000 to replace it. Next the frame completely rusted out along with everything else underneath. I had to ship it out of town because Toyota told me there was nothing they could do. It cost me nearly $13,000 to have a used frame installed. I only have 30,000 miles on this vehicle.

22. Avatar
    Joan-Marie Domino
    April 20, 2022 at 6:07 pm

I am original owner of ‘07 Toyota FJ Crusier. The rust under my truck was frightening with only 75,000 miles. I had rust remediation as it was cheaper then buying another truck. It was very expensive to repair but the truck is now safe to drive. Why did Toyota address this same issue with their other model trucks, but ignore the FJ Cruiser with same frame issues?

23. Avatar
    tom stanger
    May 7, 2022 at 12:08 am

i have a 2007 bought new in 06, one of the first batch. body and drivetrain in great shape, but the paint on the frame is gone and rust is everywhere. looks like i will loose the farthest rear cross member soon. for a truck that looks this good from the curb, i am afraid to pull a trailer with it. i expected better from Toyota

24. Avatar
    Theresa
    May 14, 2022 at 2:48 pm

My FJ CRUISER has rust! They need to fix this issue. If your company is based on safety, FIX THIS ISSUE!!

25. Avatar
    Antonio Garcia
    May 21, 2022 at 6:05 pm

2011 FJ 6spd manual. 124500 miles on it. Showing rust on random spots of the frame. How will be compensated?

26. Avatar
    Richard Wilson
    May 29, 2022 at 10:53 am

2010 fj here. Has minor rust last time i had it in the air. But now knowing there’s issues withe the frames. This is my daily. I can’t have this thing get so bad it will compromise the safety and integrity of the vehicle with my baby in it. And a new vehicle is just out of budget right now.

27. Avatar
    JOHN KIELBASA
    June 2, 2022 at 10:12 am

I had my 2010 FJ serviced by Toyota deales since I purchased it back 2009 and not one of them said anything about my badley rusted frame. I just had it serviced at a local shop and the mechanic warned me that the frame plus are rusted so bad he might not be able to fix it any more. Thankfully I only use it for local trips around town, I am so pissed at Toyota I ordered a 2022 Ford F250 to replace my 2018 Tundra !!!!!

28. Avatar
    Terry W.
    June 7, 2022 at 8:31 am

I own a 2007 Toyota FJcruiser and I live in PA. I just noticed a hole in my frame on the passenger side right near the front wheel. And there is plenty of other heavy rust on the frame as well. I have an appointment with a frame shop that has to diagnose the rest of the frame to check for other problem areas. It will be interesting what other things he finds wrong with the frame!

1. Christopher
      Christopher
      June 7, 2022 at 8:33 am

Keep us posted Terry!

29. Avatar
    Jacob
    June 19, 2022 at 1:07 am

We’re are we at with the lawsuit? Or is the going to be one that sitting in courtroom for 2years. My trailing arm is being held on by hopes and dreams.

1. Christopher
      Christopher
      June 20, 2022 at 9:35 am

Jacob if the trailing arm is at a point it’s unsafe to drive with, I recommend replacing asap. Keep all receipts of work performed for if/when this case settles you may be reimbursed.

30. Avatar
    Ken Wagner
    June 26, 2022 at 11:54 am

Thanks for all of this great information. I have a 2010 FJ which I love! This is a very unfortunate situation, since I planned on driving this for a long time to come.
    My vehicle is in great shape with the exception of the extremely rusted frame. The dealer recommended replacing it at a cost or $8,000 + anything they “break” while completing the service.
    Glad to know this is an “opt-out” class action suit, meaning I don’t need to do anything to be a part of it.

31. Avatar
    Steve H.
    July 19, 2022 at 2:54 pm

2007 FJ. Bought it a year ago for $16,000. The body is in great shape, but the frame has four body mounts rusted away and a suspension link mount is gone. It cannot be driven. The whole frame is covered in extremely serious rust. It sits in my driveway, looking great and being useless. Shocking and dis-hearting for my son that bought his dream truck. I’ve never seen anything like it.

32. Avatar
    Ashot Saakov
    September 21, 2022 at 12:29 am

I have 2007 FJ cruiser, second owner 132000 miles. I live in NY, I checked the frame and bottom of the car, everything is rusted I use rust converter and then coated with undercoat just try to stop this issues and I was shock how danger it can be in case of any accident.