Tesla has filed a safety alert with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, claiming that some airbags can catch on their hard plastic covers as they deploy and tear the fabric causing them to not provide cushioning in an accident.
Tesla’s investigation into the airbags has revealed that it is not an issue with every Model S or X. Tesla is contacting the owners of those cars and arranging for a replacement.
Tesla said it will have a remedy for the Model X and Model S airbag issue in place by early next year, promising owners that they’ll be contacted with information about their local dealers’ availability.
- Vehicles recalled: 7,600 2021 Model S and 2021 Model X.
- NHTSA campaign number: TBD.
- The problem: Faulty driver-side airbag that can be damaged during deployment.
- The fix: Fix for the airbag issue should be in place in time for a campaign to begin early next year.
- How to contact the manufacturer: Owners questions may be directed to Tesla customer service at 1-888-518-3752.