Hyundai-Kia Oil Consumption

Class Action Lawsuit Over Hyundai-Kia Oil Consumption Defect in Nu, Gamma, Theta, Lambda, and Kappa Engines

Have you been experiencing excessive oil consumption in your Hyundai or Kia vehicle equipped with either the Nu, Gamma, Theta, Lambda, or Kappa engines? If so, you may be part of a new class action lawsuit. The plaintiffs in the suit allege that these engines contain a manufacturing defect that leads to stalling and engine failure.

If you own a Hyundai or Kia equipped with the Nu, Gamma, Theta, Lambda, or Kappa engines and have been affected by this defect, it’s important to know your rights and how to join the class action lawsuit. Read on for more information about the Hyundai-Kia oil consumption lawsuit, and what it could mean for affected owners.

Hyundai-Kia Oil Consumption Problems

Plaintiffs allege that vehicles equipped with the Nu, Gamma, Theta, Lambda, or Kappa engines contain a latent manufacturing defect that causes excessive oil consumption. This defect results in sudden and unexpected vehicle stalling during normal operation, posing a safety concern for all vehicle occupants as well as other drivers on the road.

Continued prolonged use of the engine with low oil levels results in the need to replace small parts, expensive vehicle system components, and even the entire engine–long before replacement should be needed. When left unaddressed, low oil levels eventually leads to catastrophic engine failure.

Oil Consumption Defect Destroys Engine Parts

The engine defect allows oil to pass into the combustion chamber during the combustion process. Once in the combustion chamber, the by-passing oil is burned off rather than returned for further lubrication. This not only causes a decrease in engine performance, but also decreases fuel efficiency, causes carbon deposits to form, and damages the engine and various ignition and emission components.

Despite Owner Complaints, Hyundai-Kia Failed to Repair Vehicles Adequately

Multiple owner complaints have been logged to NHTSA and dealerships over the alleged oil consumption problems. However, knowledge of the problem—and presumed knowledge of how to appropriately correct and prevent the oil consumption from recurring—Hyundai has not fixed affected vehicles under warranty.

The suit claims Hyundai-Kia has been long aware of these oil consumption problems. Yet despite knowledge of this defect, it is alleged Hyundai has failed to adequately repair vehicles affected by the engine defect. Even with numerous consumer complaints received, Hyundai dealerships claim that excessive oil consumption is normal. Additionally, owners report that dealerships are trying to mask the issue by adding significant amounts of oil exceeding the recommended fill level.

These owner experiences are consistent with TSBs Hyundai has issued, but provided service actions do not actually fix the oil consumption defect. Even with Hyundai’s and Kia’s 10-year 100,000 mile limited powertrain warranty, owners have and will continue to incur expenses related to this engine defect.

Vehicles Affected

The following Hyundai-Kia vehicles are affected by the oil consumption lawsuit:

Status of the Hyundai-Kia Oil Consumption Class Action Litigation

Class Action Currently Active

This is an active class action lawsuit. This suit has been brought on behalf of the Plaintiffs and a class of current and former Hyundai-Kia vehicle owners and lessees.

Cho et al v. Hyundai Motor Company, Ltd. et al. Case No. 8:22-cv-00448, was filed in the United States District Court for the Central District of California.

Hyundai and Kia Owners’ Voices

My car was driving just fine then it wasn’t accelerating right and it went into limp mode. I was about 12 miles from home. I made it but the next day on the way to the dealership the engine just died about a mile from my house. Engine light came on. I always get my oil changes on time. Dealership says engine oil is sludged due to negligence. No negligence I believe faulty engine caused contaminants and have very bad oil consumption. My theta engine was left out of the campaign and my warranty was denied.

56kish miles on my car, 2nd owner. Oil pressure light flickered on and off about .5 miles from home after 20 mile highway drive, steady on when pulled into driveway. Turned off car immediately. Have noticed excessive oil consumption but check and top off frequently. Topped off less than 200 miles prior. About halfway or less since last oil change mileage wise from what I recall. Checked oil and about halfway between bottom and top markers on dipstick. Took to dealer Monday (.8 miles from home). Oil light did not come back on. Dropped off. Dealer said light came on shortly after driving. Said problem could be caused by “aftermarket” oil filter aka not a OEM filter. Said would do oil & filter change to see if resolved. Yesterday (Thursday) said oil & filter change complete & oil light not on. Reiterated previously mentioned concern of engine failure and potential accident. Service advisor said Hyundai will not entertain engine replacement unless oil consumption gets documented. Oil consumption test to be completed after 1000 miles or until low oil levels noticed/oil pressure light illuminates. Will pick up tomorrow to see what happens. Engine is covered under newly extended warranty if failure occurs. Service advisor says nothing else was checked internally, spark plugs, etc. as this would incur engine being taken apart and extra charges prior to Hyundai “entertains” covering engine replacement etc. Although no failure has occurred yet I’m worried something will and it will result in something potentially catastrophic for not only the engine/car but myself.

Our Santa Fe is losing oil rapidly. This started around 73,000 miles. They have done an oil consumption test and then a combustion chamber cleaning, neither worked. It showed that our vehicle is consuming 1 quart of oil every 647 miles. This will cause the engine to dry out and eventually fail. They told us we need an engine replacement, but Hyundai will not cover it. They told our local dealer to reach out to our extended warranty. They may not cover it. They need more tests run, but at our expense. After researching online, I found out this is a known problem with these engines. Others have complained and they even state that this problem occurs at about 74,500 miles. I cannot believe that Hyundai is not being he’d responsible for these repairs. This is a potential hazard, especially if someone doesn’t realize they are losing oil. Most people don’t regularly check their oil between changes, this is a huge hazard. We do check ours and found the problem. Hyundai is installing faulty engines and they should have to repair them, not the consumer.

Excessive oil consumption-1-2 quarts per week Losing power almost comes to stop on highway-Dangerous Knocking noise at times from engine White smoke at times from tailpipe Rough high idling Code P1326 Code P0010 Hyundai is very aware these issues in their engines. Many complaints on Hyundai forms. Many articles written about these issues with their engines. Class action lawsuit against Hyundai about their engines. Hyundai corporate won’t help nor will the local service department at the dealer. All they want to say it’s out of warranty. Because the issue happened after 100000 mile warranty.

I purchased the car in June 2021 and took the car back within the month due to the driver door having issues locking and unlocking. Today on 2/5/22 as i was driving my car on the express way my engine light, battery light and oil light came on and my car began to shake. As i got off the express way my car cut off in the middle of traffic while i had 2 kids in the car in the city of Houston…. In October i was told that i was having oil consumption issues and was having to take my car back every 1,000 miles. And then was told that’ll it’ll be $900 to get a decombustion cleaning. I am unsure of why my car has stopped today. I’ll be back to let y’all know.

How to Join the Hyundai-Kia Oil Consumption Lawsuit

If you have experienced engine oil consumption with your Hyundai or Kia vehicles, please submit your Hyundai-Kia car complaint. Once approved, you will be added to the class action lawsuit and will be notified of important case details.

Christopher

View posts by Christopher
Loves anything with a motor and wheels. Christopher is an internet technology and automotive expert. When he's not at the local autocross event, he can often be found working on one of his cars. He loves nothing more than taking something apart and putting it back together again–better than before.

25 Comments

1. Avatar
    Ron MareshMarch 30, 2022

I was headed home from work and my engine light came on by the time i got home (about 5 miles) my engine was knocking . i got it to the shop the next day and they told me i was 3+1/2 quarts low on oil and it has caused catastrophic engine failure so my engine would need to be replaced
    i had purchased an extended warranty with the vehicle and was told they would not cover the repair because i was responsible for the low oil even though all of my services were up to date and had been taken care of
    it has now been almost 3 months and i still have no resolution so i am out a vehicle that seems to have a manufacturers defect

2. Avatar
    Ron MareshMarch 30, 2022

I was headed from work in my 2014 Kia Sorento when my engine light came on. by the time I got home (about 5 miles) you could here my engine knocking.
    I took it to the shop the next day and was told that I was 3+1/2 quarts low on oil and that it had caused catastrophic engine failure so my engine would need to be replaced.
    I had purchased an extended warranty with the vehicle and was told that they would not cover the repair because i was responsible for the low oil even though all of my services had been done and were up to date. It has been three months now with no resolution i am just out a vehicle despite the fact that it seems to have a factory defect

3. Avatar
    Ann TartaroApril 8, 2022

2016 Hyundai Tuscon, over 800 miles til next oil change due, always do these at dealership. No warning my engine light comes on and goes into limp mode, get to a service station and they tell me there is no oil, they do an oil change and I leave but as soon as I get on road car stalls and dies. Only about 80K on car, dealership has had car for 2 weeks and hasn’t even looked at it yet.

1. Avatar
      Jeffery L magic jrApril 15, 2022

My 2016 kia sorento uses oil don’t make no sense I took it to kia they say it don’t use no oil it’s say it was with in operation range when they check it I got a few days later same thing still using oil

4. Avatar
    Wendy HenryApril 8, 2022

2017 Hyundai Tucson and now I need a new engine (ughhhh)!! My story is similar… oil changes that happened way before they should have been due, car shaking while driving, and hesitating at takeoff. In hindsight I should have taken those as warnings and traded the car in (or sold it outright to someone more mechanically inclined). It’s extremely disappointing to spend more on a brand new car because of the distance (mileage) that was being traveled for school and work only to end up here (I might add after the car was paid off). Now I’m looking at $6k repair that has in my opinion come much too soon. “Ron Maresh” my story is very similar to yours although I did not purchase the extended warranty but it looks like even if I had it’s possible I’d still be fighting to get them to cover the work. This will be my last Hyundai purchase… disappointed!!

5. Avatar
    Jennifer WoodringApril 9, 2022

On March 11, 2022 I was driving my 2015 Kia Sorento when the engine died. I was driving on a major road when all of a sudden my brakes locked u and all the warning lights and sounds went on and my car stopped. If it would have happened on the highway I could have been seriously injured or worse. The problem has been confirmed by the dealer service dept. and an independent garage both stating that my vehicle needs a new engine due to excessive oil consumption. The vehicle has been meticulously maintained and serviced. Prior to the engine failing there were no warning lights indicating any low oil or service engine lights. The dealership stated I was not at fault. I contacted the Kia manufacturer and they said there is nothing they can do because it was over 100,000 mile warranty. It only had 110,000 miles on the car. I have since spent over $9000.00 for a new engine.

6. Avatar
    Tamra pariseApril 11, 2022

2016 Hyundai Tucson with excessive oil consumption resulting in engine failure. Also prior to the engine failing there were no warning lights indicating any low oil or service engine lights.

7. Avatar
    Merton Robertson-ByeApril 16, 2022

Had a 2012 Veloster I went into get a oil change and 4 weeks later it was empty. I went to file a complaint with Hyundai because I thought it was a knock sensor problem but it wasn’t. Then the engine blows. Mind you the car only had 71,000 miles on it.

8. Avatar
    Duane McleanApril 18, 2022

I have a 2012 Kia Optima that is burning excessive oil. I have my vehicle serviced every 5000 miles. I have a 113,000 miles the dealership does not acknowledge there being a problem and will not cover the engine over 100000 miles. I would like to be apart of a lawsuit in this matter.

9. Avatar
    Crystal ArsenaultApril 19, 2022

My 2015 Kia Sorento was just serviced with a fresh oil change. Had an appointment with Kia three weeks later for a timing issue I was experiencing. Did not drive it out of fear that morning I got ready to drive it to my appointment at Kia. It stalled turned off and would not start again. I got it back off the road starting it again the engine knocked and that was it. No warning lights, no nothing. Kia diagnosed it with Engine failure and no oil on dip stick. (Even though it had a fresh oil change, no leaks and the oil was just gone)
    I’m in the waiting game with Kia customer service and Kia service Dept when it had been sitting for three weeks. Have since received a Kia recall about oil indicator and oil consumption letter.

1. Avatar
      PamMay 5, 2022

What was the oil consumption letter stating if you don’t mind me asking? I am having exact same issues

10. Avatar
    Connie HuffmanApril 20, 2022

I have a 2016 Hyundai Sonata with 85,560. It started using to much oil at around 62,000 miles.

I am also going through an oil consumption test. My first one was 1 1/2 quarts low after 1000 miles. I am currently in the second test of 1000 miles. The first time I saw my oil light flicker I checked it and had to add 3 quarts. I said something to the service advisor and she tried to tell me that it’s normal to use 1 at of oil per 1000 miles. So I asked her if they think I’m stupid or what. That they would scheduled my oil changes for every 5000 miles when your telling me it’s normal to use a wet per 1000 miles. My car would be completely out of oil an kill the engine!! I come from a family with auto mechanics in it. Plus I used to do my own tune ups when I was younger.

11. Avatar
    Susan johnsonApril 27, 2022

I have a 2017 Hyundai sonota hybrid. Been having a knocking noise since last July Had spark plugs changed new fuel injectors and still have not fixed my car. Every time I take it to the dealer ship they always come up with something but the real problem. Took it to dealership on April 15th to tell them it was using oil but they till me I have plenty of oil but after about a couple hundred miles sounds like it’s falling apart took it back to the dealership April 25th for them to tell me the oil was really low. How can this be after only 10 days of being there. I will never buy another Hyundai. Oh and I have called corporate at least 5 times and hadn’t gotten anywhere.

12. Avatar
    Tara C SaabyeApril 27, 2022

I change the oil myself. I have always done my own maintenance on all my vehicles. I noticed that I had to add oil often but I figured that it was just because I started commuting a longer than normal. I was on my way to work and the engine light came on and I lost all power. I could barely stop or stir the car. I ended up taking out a T post and my passenger mirror. Now kia is telling me that I can’t get help because I don’t have all my oil and filter receipts and that I didn’t have a kia certified mechanic work on my car. They won’t help.

13. Avatar
    Laura MillerApril 27, 2022

My car is not listed but also had same issue Hyundai Tucson 2014 in the shop now for blown engine due to no oil after recent oil change

1. Christopher
      ChristopherApril 28, 2022

Hi Laura,
      The 2014 is excluded for now, but that could change in the future.

14. Avatar
    Renee SpurlingMay 2, 2022

I have a 2017 Kia Sportage, my oil light flashes on a few hundred miles prior to an oil change due. When I reported this for the second time on a scheduled maintenance appointment I was told they could do a preventive cleansing of some sort (not sure what they called it) for $700+. I also purchased and extended warranty when I purchased the vehicle new but was told this issue is not covered. I just had an oil change 800 miles ago and already have less than a quart showing on the dip stick. They did tell me to bring it in to be checked at 1000 miles. I don’t know what good that will do but I will continue to go in for repeat oil checks because I fear being broke down.

15. Avatar
    Makayla ClaypooleMay 7, 2022

I have a 2018 Kia Optima. I got my car a little over 2 years ago. My car has been properly taken care of with oil changes. I am a traveling nurse so I have to get my oil changed more frequently then others. But my vehicle burns through oil rapidly at this point I have to buy oil in my car every week or my oil light will come on. I’m being told from Kia and other car ships the only choice is to put a new engine in which I absolutely can not afford and still owe 12,000 on the is vehicle.

16. Avatar
    Kathryn ThompsonMay 10, 2022

I have a 2017 KIA Sportage. I’ve contacted my KIA dealer service department many times and taken my car in as well. The vehicle is using oil and can run almost bone dry without the oil light coming on. I never miss an oil change. I became aware of the problem when a Valvoline technician said, “wow, you had almost no oil left”. I contacted the dealership immediately. The service department manager said, “OH, Kia’s just do that. They will use about a quarter per 1000 miles.”Mike’s.. I have begged my dealership to look over my engine for a diagnostic – they refuse.

17. Avatar
    KathyMay 15, 2022

Same…went to dealer every time for oil change and oil light came on. Completely dry when checked the oil level.

18. Avatar
    William KerrMay 18, 2022

May 18 2022 2016 kia optima, oil consumption, 1 quart plus every 1000 miles. Been thru testing at dealership and records sent to Kia but they don’t recognize this as a warranty issue. Issue came up just over 90 thousand miles with engine light on and over 3 1/2 quarts low. Kia just buying time and ruining reputation before acknowledging problem.

19. Avatar
    Steve LubitzMay 23, 2022

2014 Kia Rio 1.6L
    Excessive Oil Consumption issue. I change oil every 3200 miles.
    I check my oil regularly and the last couple of months have to add at about every 300 miles. Before that, I had to add minimum to top off to fill line. The car runs and drives fine except for oil loss.
    Local Kia Dealer Service department no help since appointments were two to three months out due to them having only one KIA tech but service manager suggested to have a open head valve soak. He did not tell me NOT TO OPERATE the car. He did run the vin to see if there was a recall and said he didn’t find anything.
    Had Catalytic Converter replaced at my expense after car became disabled and engine could not stay running, (Converter code p0420) Catalytic Converter became clogged. Towed to a exhaust specialty shop where was informed that since the motor oil had no visible signs of drips, leaks or burning that the oil had to go somewhere, the Converter. I had no knowledge of the Cho et al v. Hyundai Motor Company, Ltd. et al. Case No. 8:22-cv-00448 class action at that time.
    At this time the car has become sluggish where I suspect there may be some engine damage.
    Still trying to contact Kia Consumer affairs where their phone on hold all day playing music. Been all day and still no contact connect.

20. Avatar
    THERESA RICHARDSONMay 26, 2022

WE PURCHASED A 2016 KIA SORENTO AWD IN APRIL 2021 WITH 60796 MILES FROM H&H KIA OF OMAHA NE. TOOK TO FIRESTONE IN AUG. @ 62674 MI. FOR TIRE REPAIR. OIL CHANGE AND FLUIDS CHECK WAS NOT DUE. THEY INFORMED US THAT THERE WAS NO OIL SHOWING ON THE DIPSTICK. MECHANICS STATED THAT KIA IS AWARE OF OIL CONSUMPTION PROBLEMS. CONTACTED H&H AND TOOK CAR TO THEM FOR FIRST DEALER OIL CHANGE AT 64570 THEY SAID THEY WON’T DO ANYTHING UNTIL CATASTROPHIC FAILURE OF THE ENGINE OCCURS. ADVISED NOT TO TAKE IT ON LONG TRIPS. WE ASKED WHAT ELSE CAN BE DONE AND THEY TOLD ME TO LET THE OIL RUN OUT AND THE ENGINE FAIL….WE ARE NOW CHECKING THE OIL FREQUENTLY AND ADDING 1 QT AT APRX 550 MILES. KEEPING A LOG. VERY DISAPPOINTED AND ANGRY THAT A KIA DEALERSHIP WOULD PASS THIS LEMON ON TO US.

21. Avatar
    Tina DoaneJune 8, 2022

Tina Doane

My 2016 Hyundai sonata has been to the dealership twice. Due to the amount of oil that it has been burning. Now it’s to the point to where it is not accelerating properly. I set a appointment at the dealership for the 15th of June due to this issue. I also own a 2015 Kia Optima in witch I had to have the motor replaced two months ago due to the same issues. It cost me $7263 out of pocket to have the motor and turbo replaced. Now I’m dealing with the same issue from my Hyundai.

22. Avatar
    Peggy CatezJune 28, 2022

I have a 2016 Hyundai Tucson. I am 2nd owner. First year or so ran fine. Started noticing that I had to add oil. No lights ever came on. I had to get back door passenger side fixed. It wouldn’t open. Had to have both front windows fixed. Couldn’t get in to dealer for months and window was down. I paid out of pocket to get them fixed. Had to get O2 sensor and cat converter replaced. Dragging so bad. Had to pay for that. Brake lights and headlights blow regularly! 109K miles, owe 2 notes and I get serious recall on motor. Call and they say they can’t get me in for months. A month later it quits on me and it’s knocking bad. I had to have it towed to dealer. They say I’m number 80 in there list. So I’m sitting here with no car and still paying payments. No loner cars are available wouldn’t you know! So over freaking Hyundai’s!

Have Your Voice Heard:

Your email address will not be published.

Scroll to top