Have you been experiencing excessive oil consumption in your Hyundai or Kia vehicle equipped with either the Nu, Gamma, Theta, Lambda, or Kappa engines? If so, you may be part of a new class action lawsuit. The plaintiffs in the suit allege that these engines contain a manufacturing defect that leads to stalling and engine failure.

If you own a Hyundai or Kia equipped with the Nu, Gamma, Theta, Lambda, or Kappa engines and have been affected by this defect, it’s important to know your rights and how to join the class action lawsuit. Read on for more information about the Hyundai-Kia oil consumption lawsuit, and what it could mean for affected owners.

Hyundai-Kia Oil Consumption Problems

Plaintiffs allege that vehicles equipped with the Nu, Gamma, Theta, Lambda, or Kappa engines contain a latent manufacturing defect that causes excessive oil consumption. This defect results in sudden and unexpected vehicle stalling during normal operation, posing a safety concern for all vehicle occupants as well as other drivers on the road.

Continued prolonged use of the engine with low oil levels results in the need to replace small parts, expensive vehicle system components, and even the entire engine–long before replacement should be needed. When left unaddressed, low oil levels eventually leads to catastrophic engine failure.

Oil Consumption Defect Destroys Engine Parts

The engine defect allows oil to pass into the combustion chamber during the combustion process. Once in the combustion chamber, the by-passing oil is burned off rather than returned for further lubrication. This not only causes a decrease in engine performance, but also decreases fuel efficiency, causes carbon deposits to form, and damages the engine and various ignition and emission components.

Hyundai and Kia Seek to Enforce Individual Arbitration Against Customers

Hyundai and Kia Seek to Enforce Ind...
Hyundai and Kia Seek to Enforce Individual Arbitration Against Customers

Despite Owner Complaints, Hyundai-Kia Failed to Repair Vehicles Adequately

Multiple owner complaints have been logged to NHTSA and dealerships over the alleged oil consumption problems. However, knowledge of the problem—and presumed knowledge of how to appropriately correct and prevent the oil consumption from recurring—Hyundai has not fixed affected vehicles under warranty.

The suit claims Hyundai-Kia has been long aware of these oil consumption problems. Yet despite knowledge of this defect, it is alleged Hyundai has failed to adequately repair vehicles affected by the engine defect. Even with numerous consumer complaints received, Hyundai dealerships claim that excessive oil consumption is normal.

Additionally, owners report that dealerships are trying to mask the issue by adding significant amounts of oil exceeding the recommended fill level.

These owner experiences are consistent with TSBs Hyundai has issued, but provided service actions do not actually fix the oil consumption defect. Even with Hyundai’s and Kia’s 10-year 100,000 mile limited powertrain warranty, owners have and will continue to incur expenses related to this engine defect.

Vehicles Affected

The following Hyundai-Kia vehicles are affected by the oil consumption lawsuit:

Status of the Hyundai-Kia Oil Consumption Class Action Litigation

Class Action Currently Active

This is an active class action lawsuit. This suit has been brought on behalf of the Plaintiffs and a class of current and former Hyundai-Kia vehicle owners and lessees.

Cho et al v. Hyundai Motor Company, Ltd. et al. Case No. 8:22-cv-00448, was filed in the United States District Court for the Central District of California.

Hyundai and Kia Owners’ Voices

My car was driving just fine then it wasn’t accelerating right and it went into limp mode. I was about 12 miles from home. I made it but the next day on the way to the dealership the engine just died about a mile from my house. Engine light came on. I always get my oil changes on time. Dealership says engine oil is sludged due to negligence. No negligence I believe faulty engine caused contaminants and have very bad oil consumption. My theta engine was left out of the campaign and my warranty was denied.

56kish miles on my car, 2nd owner. Oil pressure light flickered on and off about .5 miles from home after 20 mile highway drive, steady on when pulled into driveway. Turned off car immediately. Have noticed excessive oil consumption but check and top off frequently. Topped off less than 200 miles prior. About halfway or less since last oil change mileage wise from what I recall. Checked oil and about halfway between bottom and top markers on dipstick. Took to dealer Monday (.8 miles from home). Oil light did not come back on. Dropped off. Dealer said light came on shortly after driving. Said problem could be caused by “aftermarket” oil filter aka not a OEM filter. Said would do oil & filter change to see if resolved. Yesterday (Thursday) said oil & filter change complete & oil light not on. Reiterated previously mentioned concern of engine failure and potential accident. Service advisor said Hyundai will not entertain engine replacement unless oil consumption gets documented. Oil consumption test to be completed after 1000 miles or until low oil levels noticed/oil pressure light illuminates. Will pick up tomorrow to see what happens. Engine is covered under newly extended warranty if failure occurs. Service advisor says nothing else was checked internally, spark plugs, etc. as this would incur engine being taken apart and extra charges prior to Hyundai “entertains” covering engine replacement etc. Although no failure has occurred yet I’m worried something will and it will result in something potentially catastrophic for not only the engine/car but myself.

Our Santa Fe is losing oil rapidly. This started around 73,000 miles. They have done an oil consumption test and then a combustion chamber cleaning, neither worked. It showed that our vehicle is consuming 1 quart of oil every 647 miles. This will cause the engine to dry out and eventually fail. They told us we need an engine replacement, but Hyundai will not cover it. They told our local dealer to reach out to our extended warranty. They may not cover it. They need more tests run, but at our expense. After researching online, I found out this is a known problem with these engines. Others have complained and they even state that this problem occurs at about 74,500 miles. I cannot believe that Hyundai is not being he’d responsible for these repairs. This is a potential hazard, especially if someone doesn’t realize they are losing oil. Most people don’t regularly check their oil between changes, this is a huge hazard. We do check ours and found the problem. Hyundai is installing faulty engines and they should have to repair them, not the consumer.

Excessive oil consumption-1-2 quarts per week Losing power almost comes to stop on highway-Dangerous Knocking noise at times from engine White smoke at times from tailpipe Rough high idling Code P1326 Code P0010 Hyundai is very aware these issues in their engines. Many complaints on Hyundai forms. Many articles written about these issues with their engines. Class action lawsuit against Hyundai about their engines. Hyundai corporate won’t help nor will the local service department at the dealer. All they want to say it’s out of warranty. Because the issue happened after 100000 mile warranty.

I purchased the car in June 2021 and took the car back within the month due to the driver door having issues locking and unlocking. Today on 2/5/22 as i was driving my car on the express way my engine light, battery light and oil light came on and my car began to shake. As i got off the express way my car cut off in the middle of traffic while i had 2 kids in the car in the city of Houston…. In October i was told that i was having oil consumption issues and was having to take my car back every 1,000 miles. And then was told that’ll it’ll be $900 to get a decombustion cleaning. I am unsure of why my car has stopped today. I’ll be back to let y’all know.

How to Join the Hyundai-Kia Oil Consumption Lawsuit

If you have experienced engine oil consumption with your Hyundai or Kia vehicles, please submit your Hyundai-Kia car complaint. Once approved, you will be added to the class action lawsuit and will be notified of important case details.

Important Class Action Updates

July 6, 2022

Hyundai and Kia Seek to Enforce Individual Arbitration Against California Customers. Learn more.

Last Updated on August 11, 2022

37 thoughts on “Class Action Lawsuit Over Hyundai-Kia Oil Consumption Defect in Nu, Gamma, Theta, Lambda, and Kappa Engines

1. Avatar
    Ron Maresh
    March 30, 2022 at 2:44 pm

I was headed home from work and my engine light came on by the time i got home (about 5 miles) my engine was knocking . i got it to the shop the next day and they told me i was 3+1/2 quarts low on oil and it has caused catastrophic engine failure so my engine would need to be replaced
    i had purchased an extended warranty with the vehicle and was told they would not cover the repair because i was responsible for the low oil even though all of my services were up to date and had been taken care of
    it has now been almost 3 months and i still have no resolution so i am out a vehicle that seems to have a manufacturers defect

1. Avatar
      Gary
      July 31, 2022 at 9:18 am

Mine did the same .the oil light doesn’t even come on till too late. Help me with this class.action. 909 2025423

2. Avatar
    Ron Maresh
    March 30, 2022 at 3:02 pm

I was headed from work in my 2014 Kia Sorento when my engine light came on. by the time I got home (about 5 miles) you could here my engine knocking.
    I took it to the shop the next day and was told that I was 3+1/2 quarts low on oil and that it had caused catastrophic engine failure so my engine would need to be replaced.
    I had purchased an extended warranty with the vehicle and was told that they would not cover the repair because i was responsible for the low oil even though all of my services had been done and were up to date. It has been three months now with no resolution i am just out a vehicle despite the fact that it seems to have a factory defect

3. Avatar
    Ann Tartaro
    April 8, 2022 at 10:50 am

2016 Hyundai Tuscon, over 800 miles til next oil change due, always do these at dealership. No warning my engine light comes on and goes into limp mode, get to a service station and they tell me there is no oil, they do an oil change and I leave but as soon as I get on road car stalls and dies. Only about 80K on car, dealership has had car for 2 weeks and hasn’t even looked at it yet.

1. Avatar
      Jeffery L magic jr
      April 15, 2022 at 7:36 pm

My 2016 kia sorento uses oil don’t make no sense I took it to kia they say it don’t use no oil it’s say it was with in operation range when they check it I got a few days later same thing still using oil

4. Avatar
    Wendy Henry
    April 8, 2022 at 1:22 pm

2017 Hyundai Tucson and now I need a new engine (ughhhh)!! My story is similar… oil changes that happened way before they should have been due, car shaking while driving, and hesitating at takeoff. In hindsight I should have taken those as warnings and traded the car in (or sold it outright to someone more mechanically inclined). It’s extremely disappointing to spend more on a brand new car because of the distance (mileage) that was being traveled for school and work only to end up here (I might add after the car was paid off). Now I’m looking at $6k repair that has in my opinion come much too soon. “Ron Maresh” my story is very similar to yours although I did not purchase the extended warranty but it looks like even if I had it’s possible I’d still be fighting to get them to cover the work. This will be my last Hyundai purchase… disappointed!!

5. Avatar
    Jennifer Woodring
    April 9, 2022 at 10:45 pm

On March 11, 2022 I was driving my 2015 Kia Sorento when the engine died. I was driving on a major road when all of a sudden my brakes locked u and all the warning lights and sounds went on and my car stopped. If it would have happened on the highway I could have been seriously injured or worse. The problem has been confirmed by the dealer service dept. and an independent garage both stating that my vehicle needs a new engine due to excessive oil consumption. The vehicle has been meticulously maintained and serviced. Prior to the engine failing there were no warning lights indicating any low oil or service engine lights. The dealership stated I was not at fault. I contacted the Kia manufacturer and they said there is nothing they can do because it was over 100,000 mile warranty. It only had 110,000 miles on the car. I have since spent over $9000.00 for a new engine.

6. Avatar
    Tamra parise
    April 11, 2022 at 7:13 am

2016 Hyundai Tucson with excessive oil consumption resulting in engine failure. Also prior to the engine failing there were no warning lights indicating any low oil or service engine lights.

7. Avatar
    Merton Robertson-Bye
    April 16, 2022 at 12:03 pm

Had a 2012 Veloster I went into get a oil change and 4 weeks later it was empty. I went to file a complaint with Hyundai because I thought it was a knock sensor problem but it wasn’t. Then the engine blows. Mind you the car only had 71,000 miles on it.

8. Avatar
    Duane Mclean
    April 18, 2022 at 4:50 pm

I have a 2012 Kia Optima that is burning excessive oil. I have my vehicle serviced every 5000 miles. I have a 113,000 miles the dealership does not acknowledge there being a problem and will not cover the engine over 100000 miles. I would like to be apart of a lawsuit in this matter.

9. Avatar
    Crystal Arsenault
    April 19, 2022 at 1:29 pm

My 2015 Kia Sorento was just serviced with a fresh oil change. Had an appointment with Kia three weeks later for a timing issue I was experiencing. Did not drive it out of fear that morning I got ready to drive it to my appointment at Kia. It stalled turned off and would not start again. I got it back off the road starting it again the engine knocked and that was it. No warning lights, no nothing. Kia diagnosed it with Engine failure and no oil on dip stick. (Even though it had a fresh oil change, no leaks and the oil was just gone)
    I’m in the waiting game with Kia customer service and Kia service Dept when it had been sitting for three weeks. Have since received a Kia recall about oil indicator and oil consumption letter.

1. Avatar
      Pam
      May 5, 2022 at 12:13 am

What was the oil consumption letter stating if you don’t mind me asking? I am having exact same issues

10. Avatar
    Connie Huffman
    April 20, 2022 at 5:23 pm

I have a 2016 Hyundai Sonata with 85,560. It started using to much oil at around 62,000 miles.

I am also going through an oil consumption test. My first one was 1 1/2 quarts low after 1000 miles. I am currently in the second test of 1000 miles. The first time I saw my oil light flicker I checked it and had to add 3 quarts. I said something to the service advisor and she tried to tell me that it’s normal to use 1 at of oil per 1000 miles. So I asked her if they think I’m stupid or what. That they would scheduled my oil changes for every 5000 miles when your telling me it’s normal to use a wet per 1000 miles. My car would be completely out of oil an kill the engine!! I come from a family with auto mechanics in it. Plus I used to do my own tune ups when I was younger.

11. Avatar
    Susan johnson
    April 27, 2022 at 3:03 am

I have a 2017 Hyundai sonota hybrid. Been having a knocking noise since last July Had spark plugs changed new fuel injectors and still have not fixed my car. Every time I take it to the dealer ship they always come up with something but the real problem. Took it to dealership on April 15th to tell them it was using oil but they till me I have plenty of oil but after about a couple hundred miles sounds like it’s falling apart took it back to the dealership April 25th for them to tell me the oil was really low. How can this be after only 10 days of being there. I will never buy another Hyundai. Oh and I have called corporate at least 5 times and hadn’t gotten anywhere.

12. Avatar
    Tara C Saabye
    April 27, 2022 at 2:26 pm

I change the oil myself. I have always done my own maintenance on all my vehicles. I noticed that I had to add oil often but I figured that it was just because I started commuting a longer than normal. I was on my way to work and the engine light came on and I lost all power. I could barely stop or stir the car. I ended up taking out a T post and my passenger mirror. Now kia is telling me that I can’t get help because I don’t have all my oil and filter receipts and that I didn’t have a kia certified mechanic work on my car. They won’t help.

13. Avatar
    Laura Miller
    April 27, 2022 at 8:29 pm

My car is not listed but also had same issue Hyundai Tucson 2014 in the shop now for blown engine due to no oil after recent oil change

1. Christopher
      Christopher
      April 28, 2022 at 8:17 am

Hi Laura,
      The 2014 is excluded for now, but that could change in the future.

14. Avatar
    Renee Spurling
    May 2, 2022 at 11:41 am

I have a 2017 Kia Sportage, my oil light flashes on a few hundred miles prior to an oil change due. When I reported this for the second time on a scheduled maintenance appointment I was told they could do a preventive cleansing of some sort (not sure what they called it) for $700+. I also purchased and extended warranty when I purchased the vehicle new but was told this issue is not covered. I just had an oil change 800 miles ago and already have less than a quart showing on the dip stick. They did tell me to bring it in to be checked at 1000 miles. I don’t know what good that will do but I will continue to go in for repeat oil checks because I fear being broke down.

15. Avatar
    Makayla Claypoole
    May 7, 2022 at 11:44 am

I have a 2018 Kia Optima. I got my car a little over 2 years ago. My car has been properly taken care of with oil changes. I am a traveling nurse so I have to get my oil changed more frequently then others. But my vehicle burns through oil rapidly at this point I have to buy oil in my car every week or my oil light will come on. I’m being told from Kia and other car ships the only choice is to put a new engine in which I absolutely can not afford and still owe 12,000 on the is vehicle.

16. Avatar
    Kathryn Thompson
    May 10, 2022 at 8:46 pm

I have a 2017 KIA Sportage. I’ve contacted my KIA dealer service department many times and taken my car in as well. The vehicle is using oil and can run almost bone dry without the oil light coming on. I never miss an oil change. I became aware of the problem when a Valvoline technician said, “wow, you had almost no oil left”. I contacted the dealership immediately. The service department manager said, “OH, Kia’s just do that. They will use about a quarter per 1000 miles.”Mike’s.. I have begged my dealership to look over my engine for a diagnostic – they refuse.

17. Avatar
    Kathy
    May 15, 2022 at 12:03 pm

Same…went to dealer every time for oil change and oil light came on. Completely dry when checked the oil level.

18. Avatar
    William Kerr
    May 18, 2022 at 4:52 pm

May 18 2022 2016 kia optima, oil consumption, 1 quart plus every 1000 miles. Been thru testing at dealership and records sent to Kia but they don’t recognize this as a warranty issue. Issue came up just over 90 thousand miles with engine light on and over 3 1/2 quarts low. Kia just buying time and ruining reputation before acknowledging problem.

19. Avatar
    Steve Lubitz
    May 23, 2022 at 6:21 pm

2014 Kia Rio 1.6L
    Excessive Oil Consumption issue. I change oil every 3200 miles.
    I check my oil regularly and the last couple of months have to add at about every 300 miles. Before that, I had to add minimum to top off to fill line. The car runs and drives fine except for oil loss.
    Local Kia Dealer Service department no help since appointments were two to three months out due to them having only one KIA tech but service manager suggested to have a open head valve soak. He did not tell me NOT TO OPERATE the car. He did run the vin to see if there was a recall and said he didn’t find anything.
    Had Catalytic Converter replaced at my expense after car became disabled and engine could not stay running, (Converter code p0420) Catalytic Converter became clogged. Towed to a exhaust specialty shop where was informed that since the motor oil had no visible signs of drips, leaks or burning that the oil had to go somewhere, the Converter. I had no knowledge of the Cho et al v. Hyundai Motor Company, Ltd. et al. Case No. 8:22-cv-00448 class action at that time.
    At this time the car has become sluggish where I suspect there may be some engine damage.
    Still trying to contact Kia Consumer affairs where their phone on hold all day playing music. Been all day and still no contact connect.

20. Avatar
    THERESA RICHARDSON
    May 26, 2022 at 2:10 pm

WE PURCHASED A 2016 KIA SORENTO AWD IN APRIL 2021 WITH 60796 MILES FROM H&H KIA OF OMAHA NE. TOOK TO FIRESTONE IN AUG. @ 62674 MI. FOR TIRE REPAIR. OIL CHANGE AND FLUIDS CHECK WAS NOT DUE. THEY INFORMED US THAT THERE WAS NO OIL SHOWING ON THE DIPSTICK. MECHANICS STATED THAT KIA IS AWARE OF OIL CONSUMPTION PROBLEMS. CONTACTED H&H AND TOOK CAR TO THEM FOR FIRST DEALER OIL CHANGE AT 64570 THEY SAID THEY WON’T DO ANYTHING UNTIL CATASTROPHIC FAILURE OF THE ENGINE OCCURS. ADVISED NOT TO TAKE IT ON LONG TRIPS. WE ASKED WHAT ELSE CAN BE DONE AND THEY TOLD ME TO LET THE OIL RUN OUT AND THE ENGINE FAIL….WE ARE NOW CHECKING THE OIL FREQUENTLY AND ADDING 1 QT AT APRX 550 MILES. KEEPING A LOG. VERY DISAPPOINTED AND ANGRY THAT A KIA DEALERSHIP WOULD PASS THIS LEMON ON TO US.

21. Avatar
    Tina Doane
    June 8, 2022 at 12:04 pm

Tina Doane

My 2016 Hyundai sonata has been to the dealership twice. Due to the amount of oil that it has been burning. Now it’s to the point to where it is not accelerating properly. I set a appointment at the dealership for the 15th of June due to this issue. I also own a 2015 Kia Optima in witch I had to have the motor replaced two months ago due to the same issues. It cost me $7263 out of pocket to have the motor and turbo replaced. Now I’m dealing with the same issue from my Hyundai.

22. Avatar
    Peggy Catez
    June 28, 2022 at 3:58 pm

I have a 2016 Hyundai Tucson. I am 2nd owner. First year or so ran fine. Started noticing that I had to add oil. No lights ever came on. I had to get back door passenger side fixed. It wouldn’t open. Had to have both front windows fixed. Couldn’t get in to dealer for months and window was down. I paid out of pocket to get them fixed. Had to get O2 sensor and cat converter replaced. Dragging so bad. Had to pay for that. Brake lights and headlights blow regularly! 109K miles, owe 2 notes and I get serious recall on motor. Call and they say they can’t get me in for months. A month later it quits on me and it’s knocking bad. I had to have it towed to dealer. They say I’m number 80 in there list. So I’m sitting here with no car and still paying payments. No loner cars are available wouldn’t you know! So over freaking Hyundai’s!

23. Avatar
    James Tezyk
    July 11, 2022 at 2:18 pm

The excessive oil consumption in these vehicles is unheard of. chevy and ford has always leaked 1 qt in between oil changes this is the nature of the beast ,but 3.2 quarts unacepticle and needs to be replaced.

24. Avatar
    Ron Haas
    July 20, 2022 at 10:28 am

2017 Kia Sorrento started burning oil at 75K. I have had 3 consumption tests and 2 “combustion chamber cleanings” done. I was under the assumption that people are honest and went along with the first two. I had the third done as i was bringing the vehicle in for a scheduled oil change. I had already added 6 qts. between service at 5,000 miles (under the 7,500 in the manual) I knew it was low and asked the service manager to let me know how low it was. standard answer came back, “just under a quart”. It was 3 quarts low. I started the third consumption test after this lie. Every time it was checked i stood next to the “technician” . Each time it was 3 quarts low…IT BURNS 3 QUARTS OF OIL EVERY 1,000 MILES! Kia corporate feels this is acceptable(was told anything over 1 qt the first test would qualify for engine replacement) and says “Oil consumption is not covered under warranty.” I explained that this was an engine design issue/flaw but that fell on deaf ears. IT BURNS 3 QUARTS OF OIL EVERY 1,000 MILES. …..um the cooling /lubrication system is at a severe deficit.

25. Avatar
    Pamela
    July 21, 2022 at 3:52 pm

My 2016 Kia soul is at dealership right now. Burns oil. Won’t go over 60 mph. Engine light on it was dry on oil yet the oil light did not come on…they said it is the knock sensor but in order for me to have engine replaced I have to do a consumption test almost 600. Dollars I’m low income and cantt afford that kind of money this car was going to be my last car I’m 68 years old now I don’t know what to do.

26. Avatar
    Brandi Statham
    July 24, 2022 at 6:51 pm

Around 65,000 miles, I noticed my 2016 Kia Optima was excessively consuming oil. About every 500 miles I have to add a quart of oil. I’ve taken my car to a Kia dealership and also where I purchased the car. They’ve both told me oil consumption tests are required. I’m currently in the middle of the test. They told me that for Kias, for every 1000 miles a quart to a quart and a half is normal! On what planet is that normal? I’ve never had a car use this much oil. Excessive oil consumption wears engine parts out. At this rate my engine is going to be ruined. I’ve only had this car for 2 years.

27. Avatar
    Melinda howell
    July 24, 2022 at 8:43 pm

Bought my 2019 Kia Sportage 6-16-22 already stalling and using oil has less than 30,000 miles. Going for oil consumption test Thursday just had a Kia Optima new engine should have kept it after the engine replacement

28. Avatar
    Cindy Estep
    July 29, 2022 at 6:08 pm

I bought my 2015 Kia serento in May of 2021. I drove it a couple of weeks and it started stalling and would not go over 60 miles an hour. I was planning on taking it on vacation so I took it to CarTowne Kia in Nicholasville KY and they said they couldn’t find anything wrong with it but it needed brakes so I put brakes on it. Took it on vacation to Hilton Head and while down there it was not running right and you had to make sure you kept the gas pedal down or it would stall. On the way home in North Carolina going up a mountain it quit pulling the hill in the middle of the interstate and luckily I got pulled over to edge of interstate and had to call AAA. They towed it and looked at it and said a coil was loose. I had to get motel room (2) of them because I had five kids my daughter and a friend with us at the cost of 172.00 a night each. We ride home with friend and I had to make 300 mile trip back to get it. Got it home ok but a week later started stalling and not going over 60 miles an hour. I took it back to Car Towne Kia in Nicholasville KY. They said they couldn’t find anything wrong might need new catalytic converter. I told them to put one on and it did run better for few days until I started down drive way and every light on it came on a kept stalling stopped checked oil and it was 4 quarts low took it to CarTowne Kia they called Kia main office they wanted to do oil consumption test. Main Kia headquarters denied it. If I wanted to pay 500 dollars for it I could have it done. The car had leaked no oil on my driveway so it is burning it through the motor they told me I had a bad piston and I might be able to get new motor through Kia. I found out later it was through class action law suit that settled in 2020 defective motor. I was told though I could not get a new motor until it blew up and quit. I bought the Kia from a major dealer in Morehead and they failed to tell me about the settlement on the car and engine replacement and defects before I bought it. It was a Chevy dealer in Morehead Ky. Only dealership in Morehead. That was an illegal thing to do in my opinion. I bought the car used in May 2021. Settlement was in 2020 summer. It has been driven Approx 1500 miles because it drinks oil and you don’t know when it’s going to stall! I’ve called the Kia settlement people and 3 times I have been transferred to higher up people to see why the motor has to blow before they honor the terms of the settlement. I have been cut off 3 times after waiting for 30 to 45 minutes at a time. I think I need a lawyer to get it fixed. What do we do. You get lifetime warranty on motor but they won’t replace it till it blows up and your stranded or killed on the side of the road? That’s ludicrous!

29. Avatar
    Judith A Glidewell
    August 7, 2022 at 2:43 pm

2015 kia Sorento here. Last 2 oil changes they have remarked no oil showing on dipstick. Engine started stalling today and checked oil, down 2 qts and I’m still 3k from oil change. I use synthetic oil and have never missed a change. I have 9k left on my extended warranty.

30. Avatar
    Nikki Cornelius
    August 12, 2022 at 11:59 am

My 2014 Kia Rio burns so much oil I have to get it topped off twice between oil changes and cannot go over 3000 miles or it will run out of oil. How do I get in on this law suit?

31. Avatar
    Shane Taylor
    August 14, 2022 at 9:47 am

We have a 2017 Kia Optima and it is consuming about a half quart of oil every week. We noticed the oil burning at about 60,000. When accelerating the engine sounds like a chain or roller coaster.

32. Avatar
    Richard Stone Barnes
    August 20, 2022 at 6:17 pm

It’s the piston rings they where hardened to much at factory causing oil to blow by them into combustion chamber then to the exhaust, as soon as its exited the motor the exhaust “bubble” manifold stops a little bit of it then it burns up the flex exhaust hose and sticks to itand basically melts through it because the catalytic converter is stopped up from used burnt motor oil thus burning vehicle occures, and the design of the coil packs for the spark plugs when changing spark plugs the coil packs closest to the driver side has to “wiggle ” around the alluminam fuel line and try not to break it’s connection seal or fuel will start to spray on motor thus creating major fire hazard and loss of life. All the recall B/S only covers the 1.8 and the 2.2 GDI engins and the one I drive is a 2.0 GDI motor and its doing the exact same thing. KIA MOTORS YOU HAVE LET ME DOWN AND BROKEN MY TRUST WITH YOU NOW FIX Y’ALL’S F##K UP’S AND BE BETTER THEN YOU WAS BEFORE!!!!

33. Avatar
    Andrea S.
    September 21, 2022 at 5:12 pm

I am sick and tired of having to constantly check oil levels. I’m no mechanic. I just put oil in my Tucson this morning! Went for an oil change and was told that there was barely any oil in the car. How? The oil light never came on and when it does it’s just a flicker. If you don’t catch it you will be in trouble. I’ve had a few cars and none of them have had the engine oil just vanish. What I don’t understand is Hyundai has been sending the same recall to its owners since February and all it keeps saying is “stand by for a resolution”. Really?? They are just piling up in my car at this point. Hyundai needs to own up to these faulty models and compensate the owners.