Have you been experiencing excessive oil consumption in your Hyundai or Kia vehicle equipped with either the Nu, Gamma, Theta, Lambda, or Kappa engines? If so, you may be part of a new class action lawsuit. The plaintiffs in the suit allege that these engines contain a manufacturing defect that leads to stalling and engine failure.

If you own a Hyundai or Kia equipped with the Nu, Gamma, Theta, Lambda, or Kappa engines and have been affected by this defect, it’s important to know your rights and how to join the class action lawsuit. Read on for more information about the Hyundai-Kia oil consumption lawsuit, and what it could mean for affected owners.

Hyundai-Kia Oil Consumption Problems

Plaintiffs allege that vehicles equipped with the Nu, Gamma, Theta, Lambda, or Kappa engines contain a latent manufacturing defect that causes excessive oil consumption. This defect results in sudden and unexpected vehicle stalling during normal operation, posing a safety concern for all vehicle occupants as well as other drivers on the road.

Continued prolonged use of the engine with low oil levels results in the need to replace small parts, expensive vehicle system components, and even the entire engine – long before replacement should be needed.

When left unaddressed, low oil levels eventually leads to catastrophic engine failure.

Oil Consumption Defect Destroys Engine Parts

The engine defect allows oil to pass into the combustion chamber during the combustion process. Once in the combustion chamber, the by-passing oil is burned off rather than returned for further lubrication.

This not only causes a decrease in engine performance, but also decreases fuel efficiency, causes carbon deposits to form, and damages the engine and various ignition and emission components.

Despite Owner Complaints, Hyundai-Kia Failed to Repair Vehicles Adequately

Multiple owner complaints have been logged to NHTSA and dealerships over the alleged oil consumption problems. However, knowledge of the problem—and presumed knowledge of how to appropriately correct and prevent the oil consumption from recurring—Hyundai has not fixed affected vehicles under warranty.

The suit claims Hyundai-Kia has been long aware of these oil consumption problems. Yet despite knowledge of this defect, it is alleged Hyundai has failed to adequately repair vehicles affected by the engine defect. Even with numerous consumer complaints received, Hyundai dealerships claim that excessive oil consumption is normal.

Additionally, owners report that dealerships are trying to mask the issue by adding significant amounts of oil exceeding the recommended fill level.

These owner experiences are consistent with TSBs Hyundai has issued, but provided service actions do not actually fix the oil consumption defect. Even with Hyundai’s and Kia’s 10-year 100,000 mile limited powertrain warranty, owners have and will continue to incur expenses related to this engine defect.

Vehicles Affected

The following Hyundai-Kia vehicles are affected by the oil consumption lawsuit:

Status of the Hyundai-Kia Oil Consumption Class Action Litigation

Class Action Currently Active

This is an active class action lawsuit. This suit has been brought on behalf of the Plaintiffs and a class of current and former Hyundai-Kia vehicle owners and lessees.

Cho et al v. Hyundai Motor Company, Ltd. et al. Case No. 8:22-cv-00448, was filed in the United States District Court for the Central District of California.

Hyundai and Kia Owners’ Voices

My car was driving just fine then it wasn’t accelerating right and it went into limp mode. I was about 12 miles from home. I made it but the next day on the way to the dealership the engine just died about a mile from my house. Engine light came on. I always get my oil changes on time. Dealership says engine oil is sludged due to negligence. No negligence I believe faulty engine caused contaminants and have very bad oil consumption. My theta engine was left out of the campaign and my warranty was denied.

56kish miles on my car, 2nd owner. Oil pressure light flickered on and off about .5 miles from home after 20 mile highway drive, steady on when pulled into driveway. Turned off car immediately. Have noticed excessive oil consumption but check and top off frequently. Topped off less than 200 miles prior. About halfway or less since last oil change mileage wise from what I recall. Checked oil and about halfway between bottom and top markers on dipstick. Took to dealer Monday (.8 miles from home). Oil light did not come back on. Dropped off. Dealer said light came on shortly after driving. Said problem could be caused by “aftermarket” oil filter aka not a OEM filter. Said would do oil & filter change to see if resolved. Yesterday (Thursday) said oil & filter change complete & oil light not on. Reiterated previously mentioned concern of engine failure and potential accident. Service advisor said Hyundai will not entertain engine replacement unless oil consumption gets documented. Oil consumption test to be completed after 1000 miles or until low oil levels noticed/oil pressure light illuminates. Will pick up tomorrow to see what happens. Engine is covered under newly extended warranty if failure occurs. Service advisor says nothing else was checked internally, spark plugs, etc. as this would incur engine being taken apart and extra charges prior to Hyundai “entertains” covering engine replacement etc. Although no failure has occurred yet I’m worried something will and it will result in something potentially catastrophic for not only the engine/car but myself.

Our Santa Fe is losing oil rapidly. This started around 73,000 miles. They have done an oil consumption test and then a combustion chamber cleaning, neither worked. It showed that our vehicle is consuming 1 quart of oil every 647 miles. This will cause the engine to dry out and eventually fail. They told us we need an engine replacement, but Hyundai will not cover it. They told our local dealer to reach out to our extended warranty. They may not cover it. They need more tests run, but at our expense. After researching online, I found out this is a known problem with these engines. Others have complained and they even state that this problem occurs at about 74,500 miles. I cannot believe that Hyundai is not being he’d responsible for these repairs. This is a potential hazard, especially if someone doesn’t realize they are losing oil. Most people don’t regularly check their oil between changes, this is a huge hazard. We do check ours and found the problem. Hyundai is installing faulty engines and they should have to repair them, not the consumer.

Excessive oil consumption-1-2 quarts per week Losing power almost comes to stop on highway-Dangerous Knocking noise at times from engine White smoke at times from tailpipe Rough high idling Code P1326 Code P0010 Hyundai is very aware these issues in their engines. Many complaints on Hyundai forms. Many articles written about these issues with their engines. Class action lawsuit against Hyundai about their engines. Hyundai corporate won’t help nor will the local service department at the dealer. All they want to say it’s out of warranty. Because the issue happened after 100000 mile warranty.

I purchased the car in June 2021 and took the car back within the month due to the driver door having issues locking and unlocking. Today on 2/5/22 as i was driving my car on the express way my engine light, battery light and oil light came on and my car began to shake. As i got off the express way my car cut off in the middle of traffic while i had 2 kids in the car in the city of Houston…. In October i was told that i was having oil consumption issues and was having to take my car back every 1,000 miles. And then was told that’ll it’ll be $900 to get a decombustion cleaning. I am unsure of why my car has stopped today. I’ll be back to let y’all know.

How to Join the Hyundai-Kia Oil Consumption Lawsuit

If you have experienced engine oil consumption with your Hyundai or Kia vehicles, please submit your Hyundai-Kia car complaint. Once approved, you will be added to the class action lawsuit and will be notified of important case details.

Important Class Action Updates

Hyundai and Kia Seek to Enforce Individual Arbitration Against California Customers. Learn more.

Last Updated on January 18, 2023

127 thoughts on “Class Action Lawsuit Over Hyundai-Kia Oil Consumption Defect in Nu, Gamma, Theta, Lambda, and Kappa Engines

Ron Maresh
    March 30, 2022 at 2:44 pm

I was headed home from work and my engine light came on by the time i got home (about 5 miles) my engine was knocking . i got it to the shop the next day and they told me i was 3+1/2 quarts low on oil and it has caused catastrophic engine failure so my engine would need to be replaced
    i had purchased an extended warranty with the vehicle and was told they would not cover the repair because i was responsible for the low oil even though all of my services were up to date and had been taken care of
    it has now been almost 3 months and i still have no resolution so i am out a vehicle that seems to have a manufacturers defect

Gary
      July 31, 2022 at 9:18 am

Mine did the same .the oil light doesn’t even come on till too late. Help me with this class.action. 909 2025423

Patrice Madderra
        November 19, 2022 at 7:13 pm

I have my Sportage at KIA right now with the same problem, they tried to blame it on Walmart not putting oil back in my engine but the inspector said it’s an oil consumption issue and KIA is at fault, I have been without a car since Oct 22nd 2022 and I don’t know what to do!!

Debbie Davey
          November 27, 2022 at 3:53 pm

I have Kia Sportage too purchased June 2022 it’s had lots of oil issues 3litres of oil added by RAC 9weeks ago after engine light kept coming on and off then smell of burning and misfiring type of feeling when driving, again today had AA out and they have had to add another 2 litres of oil they have advised the car has oil consumption issue I M terrified to drive it now and Arnold Clark do not help

Bridget velasco
            December 8, 2022 at 10:26 am

I hv a Kia optima, oil light flashed on for a couple of seconds, I immediately drove to the shop that does my oil changes and I was nearly out if oil, it had only been 2000 miles since my last oil change, again after 2000 miles oil light flashed on, went straight to shop and again I was nearly out of oil, this is so frustrating and so stressful

2. Avatar
      Thomas Lash
      October 6, 2022 at 4:43 pm

My 2018 Kia Optima with 60,900 miles preformed well for the two years that we owned her. This year our sone was driving it and noticed the oil light blinked when he went around a corner. I checked the level and it was lower than normal. We immediately changed the oil and started monitoring consumption. It’s consuming over a quart per thousand miles. We have notified the dealer and scheduled a meeting for Monday afternoon. We have an extended warranty on the vehicle and expect a new engine at sone point in the near future. Not sure how Kia can afford these replacements but it’s their fault for selling defective items.

3. Avatar
      Edward Bennett
      October 22, 2022 at 3:48 pm

My 2012 Kia Sedona, did the same thing, it took 2 quarts of oil every time we fill the tank with gas, the problem is Kia is not taking responsibility because they say this vehicle is not one of the engines that are failing, can someone tell me what engine I have I believe it’s a 3.5 L, this engine is doing everything that everyone is talking about. We got screwed as my wife use this van to take my grand children to school. What is my recourse? Thanks Edward

4. Avatar
      Linda Henry
      November 6, 2022 at 12:29 pm

No warning from my 2018 Kia Optima. No warning light unless I go around a curve too quickly then the oil warning light flashes.
      It’s been less than a month that I had a routine oil change and already has taken 3 more quarts. I even switched to synthetic hoping that would make a difference. It doesn’t.
      Acceleration is affected without me realizing why….now I am a hinderance to everyone on the road including myself.
      If this is a manufacturer issue why wouldn’t they do a recall. Very sad. I’ve had Kia’s for years. This will be my last one. Come on Kia, make right what you did wrong!!!

Felipe Tavares
        November 9, 2022 at 5:47 pm

I have the very same problem with my Optima S – 2019.

Angela Morkel
          December 27, 2022 at 9:32 am

LLP
          I have a 2017 kia optima turbo 1.6 liter .
          I had the same issue. I changed my oil every 2500 miles had to.put mire oil every 1000 miles .
          My oil light flickered once when going around sharp curve. Further down the road started hearing a loud knock. Got off next exit checked oil it was bone dry.
          Had a mechanic to look at it. Needs new engine. No help from Kia
          My car spun a barring. The part iI need to fix my car is discontined. Or i have to buy a new engine that i csnt afforrd ive been without a car now for months. I cant drive a car that I still have 1year of pyments left on it. And the part I need has been discontinued.
          I need help on how to get in on the lawsuit.

5. Avatar
      Rafael Torres
      November 14, 2022 at 12:30 am

My 2017 Kia Rio started stalling at around 60,000.00 miles but it was minor. Always more than a thousand miles before Oil Change requirement. Pick a boo oil change Sign will come up on dash. Then followed by Engine Sign. But, never realized, in my case, it was slowly happening. Until I went to Kua and explain. Service Rep Debbie, from Kia Mall of GA explain to me, it happened to her car. Told me the amount of vehicles ” Parked in their dealership, waiting for Engine replacement. She said, we are doing change of oil and let you go. If issue arise within first 1000 miles, bring it back. Well,…!!! Not all vehicles are show the same. Mine started stalling a 100p miles before next Oil change required. Oil change light came up like pick a boo. Comes on and off. Then now, 500 miles before Next Oil change, the Oil change pick a boo continues but the Engine Light comes up, for now, permanently. My case is of an issue that has taken longer miles to realize. Telling me, of it doesn’t do it after a 1000 miles, ” Well” there is no issue. ” Well… I don agree. Because is tarted doing it 1000 miles before the Oil is to be change. Also, she asked if there was any Pile Oil. The issue others have had and the description of the Excessive. Oil Consumption ( That damages internal Engine Parts slowly) Had nothing to do with Oil piled on the ground. This problem doesn’t produce any Piled Oil on the ground.

6. Avatar
      Brad
      November 28, 2022 at 3:07 am

My wife’s 2017 Hyundia Tucson started knocking today headed home from church. We got home and I let the car sit for several hours and checked the oil. It was 3 quarts low. We just had the oil changed 2000 miles ago. I’m sure the engine will need replaced after the noise it’s making. Seems to be way to many oil issues with these vehicles.

7. Avatar
      Anthony Stump
      November 28, 2022 at 12:32 pm

Having this issue w/ a 2017 Kia Sorrento. Going to take it to the dealership to see if they can fix it. 92k miles.

8. Avatar
      April Bane
      December 10, 2022 at 11:48 pm

How do we join this class action lawsuit? Mine started around 75000 miles! I between my last two oil changes I used 2 qts of oil. I took it in for consumption test today and they are telling me .516 qts of oil consumption per 1000 miles is normal? Have they lost their minds that means my car will be going nuts and won’t run after 4000 miles How can this be normal? No one should have to add 2 quarts of oil every 4000 miles!

9. Avatar
      Daniel
      December 15, 2022 at 7:12 am

2018 kia rio, i burn 1q every 1k mile. Kia said this is normal, but is it really? Do i really have to check my oil every 1k miles because some bad engine design. Even Scotty Kilmer agrees they have a serious oil consumption problem. Every mechanic knows this well.

10. Avatar
      Connie Tucker
      December 31, 2022 at 7:31 pm

My Kia is burning excessive oil. Oil light comes on too late.

2. Avatar
    Ron Maresh
    March 30, 2022 at 3:02 pm

I was headed from work in my 2014 Kia Sorento when my engine light came on. by the time I got home (about 5 miles) you could here my engine knocking.
    I took it to the shop the next day and was told that I was 3+1/2 quarts low on oil and that it had caused catastrophic engine failure so my engine would need to be replaced.
    I had purchased an extended warranty with the vehicle and was told that they would not cover the repair because i was responsible for the low oil even though all of my services had been done and were up to date. It has been three months now with no resolution i am just out a vehicle despite the fact that it seems to have a factory defect

Gabriella Doyle
      January 17, 2023 at 7:45 pm

My 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe engine went at 70k. I bought the car last year and put 12k miles on it and two oil changes. Last oil change the oil was really low and filled with metal shavings. Was quoted 19k to replace engine.

3. Avatar
    Ann Tartaro
    April 8, 2022 at 10:50 am

2016 Hyundai Tuscon, over 800 miles til next oil change due, always do these at dealership. No warning my engine light comes on and goes into limp mode, get to a service station and they tell me there is no oil, they do an oil change and I leave but as soon as I get on road car stalls and dies. Only about 80K on car, dealership has had car for 2 weeks and hasn’t even looked at it yet.

Jeffery L magic jr
      April 15, 2022 at 7:36 pm

My 2016 kia sorento uses oil don’t make no sense I took it to kia they say it don’t use no oil it’s say it was with in operation range when they check it I got a few days later same thing still using oil

Randy Davis
        October 15, 2022 at 10:40 am

2017 Kia Sportage I have to check oil weekly always low having to add oil. change oil myself every 4,000 miles. bought the vehicle new 120,000 miles still going just have to keep watch on oil

LeAnn
          November 2, 2022 at 11:00 am

I also have a 2017 Kia Sportage, I just started having problems with the oil consumption. My car used to have the oil changed every 5000 miles (light never came on) this last oil change it only made it 2300 miles. I don’t understand why the car is suddenly using more oil, is the car defective?

Gordon Koenig
            December 6, 2022 at 2:06 pm

LeAnn,
            I have started to have oil consumption issues and now it also involves an oil leak. I just had my oil changed and haven’t driven close to 1000 miles and the dip stick shows what I am assuming is a quart or more of oil consumed through the engine and out the tail pipe or leaking or both. I wish you all the best and hope we all are lucky enough to get some sort of fix or a new engine.
            Respectfully yours, Gordon Koenig

4. Avatar
    Wendy Henry
    April 8, 2022 at 1:22 pm

2017 Hyundai Tucson and now I need a new engine (ughhhh)!! My story is similar… oil changes that happened way before they should have been due, car shaking while driving, and hesitating at takeoff. In hindsight I should have taken those as warnings and traded the car in (or sold it outright to someone more mechanically inclined). It’s extremely disappointing to spend more on a brand new car because of the distance (mileage) that was being traveled for school and work only to end up here (I might add after the car was paid off). Now I’m looking at $6k repair that has in my opinion come much too soon. “Ron Maresh” my story is very similar to yours although I did not purchase the extended warranty but it looks like even if I had it’s possible I’d still be fighting to get them to cover the work. This will be my last Hyundai purchase… disappointed!!

5. Avatar
    Jennifer Woodring
    April 9, 2022 at 10:45 pm

On March 11, 2022 I was driving my 2015 Kia Sorento when the engine died. I was driving on a major road when all of a sudden my brakes locked u and all the warning lights and sounds went on and my car stopped. If it would have happened on the highway I could have been seriously injured or worse. The problem has been confirmed by the dealer service dept. and an independent garage both stating that my vehicle needs a new engine due to excessive oil consumption. The vehicle has been meticulously maintained and serviced. Prior to the engine failing there were no warning lights indicating any low oil or service engine lights. The dealership stated I was not at fault. I contacted the Kia manufacturer and they said there is nothing they can do because it was over 100,000 mile warranty. It only had 110,000 miles on the car. I have since spent over $9000.00 for a new engine.

6. Avatar
    Tamra parise
    April 11, 2022 at 7:13 am

2016 Hyundai Tucson with excessive oil consumption resulting in engine failure. Also prior to the engine failing there were no warning lights indicating any low oil or service engine lights.

7. Avatar
    Merton Robertson-Bye
    April 16, 2022 at 12:03 pm

Had a 2012 Veloster I went into get a oil change and 4 weeks later it was empty. I went to file a complaint with Hyundai because I thought it was a knock sensor problem but it wasn’t. Then the engine blows. Mind you the car only had 71,000 miles on it.

8. Avatar
    Duane Mclean
    April 18, 2022 at 4:50 pm

I have a 2012 Kia Optima that is burning excessive oil. I have my vehicle serviced every 5000 miles. I have a 113,000 miles the dealership does not acknowledge there being a problem and will not cover the engine over 100000 miles. I would like to be apart of a lawsuit in this matter.

9. Avatar
    Crystal Arsenault
    April 19, 2022 at 1:29 pm

My 2015 Kia Sorento was just serviced with a fresh oil change. Had an appointment with Kia three weeks later for a timing issue I was experiencing. Did not drive it out of fear that morning I got ready to drive it to my appointment at Kia. It stalled turned off and would not start again. I got it back off the road starting it again the engine knocked and that was it. No warning lights, no nothing. Kia diagnosed it with Engine failure and no oil on dip stick. (Even though it had a fresh oil change, no leaks and the oil was just gone)
    I’m in the waiting game with Kia customer service and Kia service Dept when it had been sitting for three weeks. Have since received a Kia recall about oil indicator and oil consumption letter.

Pam
      May 5, 2022 at 12:13 am

What was the oil consumption letter stating if you don’t mind me asking? I am having exact same issues

10. Avatar
    Connie Huffman
    April 20, 2022 at 5:23 pm

I have a 2016 Hyundai Sonata with 85,560. It started using to much oil at around 62,000 miles.

I am also going through an oil consumption test. My first one was 1 1/2 quarts low after 1000 miles. I am currently in the second test of 1000 miles. The first time I saw my oil light flicker I checked it and had to add 3 quarts. I said something to the service advisor and she tried to tell me that it’s normal to use 1 at of oil per 1000 miles. So I asked her if they think I’m stupid or what. That they would scheduled my oil changes for every 5000 miles when your telling me it’s normal to use a wet per 1000 miles. My car would be completely out of oil an kill the engine!! I come from a family with auto mechanics in it. Plus I used to do my own tune ups when I was younger.

11. Avatar
    Susan johnson
    April 27, 2022 at 3:03 am

I have a 2017 Hyundai sonota hybrid. Been having a knocking noise since last July Had spark plugs changed new fuel injectors and still have not fixed my car. Every time I take it to the dealer ship they always come up with something but the real problem. Took it to dealership on April 15th to tell them it was using oil but they till me I have plenty of oil but after about a couple hundred miles sounds like it’s falling apart took it back to the dealership April 25th for them to tell me the oil was really low. How can this be after only 10 days of being there. I will never buy another Hyundai. Oh and I have called corporate at least 5 times and hadn’t gotten anywhere.

12. Avatar
    Tara C Saabye
    April 27, 2022 at 2:26 pm

I change the oil myself. I have always done my own maintenance on all my vehicles. I noticed that I had to add oil often but I figured that it was just because I started commuting a longer than normal. I was on my way to work and the engine light came on and I lost all power. I could barely stop or stir the car. I ended up taking out a T post and my passenger mirror. Now kia is telling me that I can’t get help because I don’t have all my oil and filter receipts and that I didn’t have a kia certified mechanic work on my car. They won’t help.

13. Avatar
    Laura Miller
    April 27, 2022 at 8:29 pm

My car is not listed but also had same issue Hyundai Tucson 2014 in the shop now for blown engine due to no oil after recent oil change

1. Christopher
      Christopher
      April 28, 2022 at 8:17 am

Hi Laura,
      The 2014 is excluded for now, but that could change in the future.

14. Avatar
    Renee Spurling
    May 2, 2022 at 11:41 am

I have a 2017 Kia Sportage, my oil light flashes on a few hundred miles prior to an oil change due. When I reported this for the second time on a scheduled maintenance appointment I was told they could do a preventive cleansing of some sort (not sure what they called it) for $700+. I also purchased and extended warranty when I purchased the vehicle new but was told this issue is not covered. I just had an oil change 800 miles ago and already have less than a quart showing on the dip stick. They did tell me to bring it in to be checked at 1000 miles. I don’t know what good that will do but I will continue to go in for repeat oil checks because I fear being broke down.

15. Avatar
    Makayla Claypoole
    May 7, 2022 at 11:44 am

I have a 2018 Kia Optima. I got my car a little over 2 years ago. My car has been properly taken care of with oil changes. I am a traveling nurse so I have to get my oil changed more frequently then others. But my vehicle burns through oil rapidly at this point I have to buy oil in my car every week or my oil light will come on. I’m being told from Kia and other car ships the only choice is to put a new engine in which I absolutely can not afford and still owe 12,000 on the is vehicle.

16. Avatar
    Kathryn Thompson
    May 10, 2022 at 8:46 pm

I have a 2017 KIA Sportage. I’ve contacted my KIA dealer service department many times and taken my car in as well. The vehicle is using oil and can run almost bone dry without the oil light coming on. I never miss an oil change. I became aware of the problem when a Valvoline technician said, “wow, you had almost no oil left”. I contacted the dealership immediately. The service department manager said, “OH, Kia’s just do that. They will use about a quarter per 1000 miles.”Mike’s.. I have begged my dealership to look over my engine for a diagnostic – they refuse.

17. Avatar
    Kathy
    May 15, 2022 at 12:03 pm

Same…went to dealer every time for oil change and oil light came on. Completely dry when checked the oil level.

18. Avatar
    William Kerr
    May 18, 2022 at 4:52 pm

May 18 2022 2016 kia optima, oil consumption, 1 quart plus every 1000 miles. Been thru testing at dealership and records sent to Kia but they don’t recognize this as a warranty issue. Issue came up just over 90 thousand miles with engine light on and over 3 1/2 quarts low. Kia just buying time and ruining reputation before acknowledging problem.

19. Avatar
    Steve Lubitz
    May 23, 2022 at 6:21 pm

2014 Kia Rio 1.6L
    Excessive Oil Consumption issue. I change oil every 3200 miles.
    I check my oil regularly and the last couple of months have to add at about every 300 miles. Before that, I had to add minimum to top off to fill line. The car runs and drives fine except for oil loss.
    Local Kia Dealer Service department no help since appointments were two to three months out due to them having only one KIA tech but service manager suggested to have a open head valve soak. He did not tell me NOT TO OPERATE the car. He did run the vin to see if there was a recall and said he didn’t find anything.
    Had Catalytic Converter replaced at my expense after car became disabled and engine could not stay running, (Converter code p0420) Catalytic Converter became clogged. Towed to a exhaust specialty shop where was informed that since the motor oil had no visible signs of drips, leaks or burning that the oil had to go somewhere, the Converter. I had no knowledge of the Cho et al v. Hyundai Motor Company, Ltd. et al. Case No. 8:22-cv-00448 class action at that time.
    At this time the car has become sluggish where I suspect there may be some engine damage.
    Still trying to contact Kia Consumer affairs where their phone on hold all day playing music. Been all day and still no contact connect.

20. Avatar
    THERESA RICHARDSON
    May 26, 2022 at 2:10 pm

WE PURCHASED A 2016 KIA SORENTO AWD IN APRIL 2021 WITH 60796 MILES FROM H&H KIA OF OMAHA NE. TOOK TO FIRESTONE IN AUG. @ 62674 MI. FOR TIRE REPAIR. OIL CHANGE AND FLUIDS CHECK WAS NOT DUE. THEY INFORMED US THAT THERE WAS NO OIL SHOWING ON THE DIPSTICK. MECHANICS STATED THAT KIA IS AWARE OF OIL CONSUMPTION PROBLEMS. CONTACTED H&H AND TOOK CAR TO THEM FOR FIRST DEALER OIL CHANGE AT 64570 THEY SAID THEY WON’T DO ANYTHING UNTIL CATASTROPHIC FAILURE OF THE ENGINE OCCURS. ADVISED NOT TO TAKE IT ON LONG TRIPS. WE ASKED WHAT ELSE CAN BE DONE AND THEY TOLD ME TO LET THE OIL RUN OUT AND THE ENGINE FAIL….WE ARE NOW CHECKING THE OIL FREQUENTLY AND ADDING 1 QT AT APRX 550 MILES. KEEPING A LOG. VERY DISAPPOINTED AND ANGRY THAT A KIA DEALERSHIP WOULD PASS THIS LEMON ON TO US.

21. Avatar
    Tina Doane
    June 8, 2022 at 12:04 pm

Tina Doane

My 2016 Hyundai sonata has been to the dealership twice. Due to the amount of oil that it has been burning. Now it’s to the point to where it is not accelerating properly. I set a appointment at the dealership for the 15th of June due to this issue. I also own a 2015 Kia Optima in witch I had to have the motor replaced two months ago due to the same issues. It cost me $7263 out of pocket to have the motor and turbo replaced. Now I’m dealing with the same issue from my Hyundai.

22. Avatar
    Peggy Catez
    June 28, 2022 at 3:58 pm

I have a 2016 Hyundai Tucson. I am 2nd owner. First year or so ran fine. Started noticing that I had to add oil. No lights ever came on. I had to get back door passenger side fixed. It wouldn’t open. Had to have both front windows fixed. Couldn’t get in to dealer for months and window was down. I paid out of pocket to get them fixed. Had to get O2 sensor and cat converter replaced. Dragging so bad. Had to pay for that. Brake lights and headlights blow regularly! 109K miles, owe 2 notes and I get serious recall on motor. Call and they say they can’t get me in for months. A month later it quits on me and it’s knocking bad. I had to have it towed to dealer. They say I’m number 80 in there list. So I’m sitting here with no car and still paying payments. No loner cars are available wouldn’t you know! So over freaking Hyundai’s!

23. Avatar
    James Tezyk
    July 11, 2022 at 2:18 pm

The excessive oil consumption in these vehicles is unheard of. chevy and ford has always leaked 1 qt in between oil changes this is the nature of the beast ,but 3.2 quarts unacepticle and needs to be replaced.

24. Avatar
    Ron Haas
    July 20, 2022 at 10:28 am

2017 Kia Sorrento started burning oil at 75K. I have had 3 consumption tests and 2 “combustion chamber cleanings” done. I was under the assumption that people are honest and went along with the first two. I had the third done as i was bringing the vehicle in for a scheduled oil change. I had already added 6 qts. between service at 5,000 miles (under the 7,500 in the manual) I knew it was low and asked the service manager to let me know how low it was. standard answer came back, “just under a quart”. It was 3 quarts low. I started the third consumption test after this lie. Every time it was checked i stood next to the “technician” . Each time it was 3 quarts low…IT BURNS 3 QUARTS OF OIL EVERY 1,000 MILES! Kia corporate feels this is acceptable(was told anything over 1 qt the first test would qualify for engine replacement) and says “Oil consumption is not covered under warranty.” I explained that this was an engine design issue/flaw but that fell on deaf ears. IT BURNS 3 QUARTS OF OIL EVERY 1,000 MILES. …..um the cooling /lubrication system is at a severe deficit.

25. Avatar
    Pamela
    July 21, 2022 at 3:52 pm

My 2016 Kia soul is at dealership right now. Burns oil. Won’t go over 60 mph. Engine light on it was dry on oil yet the oil light did not come on…they said it is the knock sensor but in order for me to have engine replaced I have to do a consumption test almost 600. Dollars I’m low income and cantt afford that kind of money this car was going to be my last car I’m 68 years old now I don’t know what to do.

26. Avatar
    Brandi Statham
    July 24, 2022 at 6:51 pm

Around 65,000 miles, I noticed my 2016 Kia Optima was excessively consuming oil. About every 500 miles I have to add a quart of oil. I’ve taken my car to a Kia dealership and also where I purchased the car. They’ve both told me oil consumption tests are required. I’m currently in the middle of the test. They told me that for Kias, for every 1000 miles a quart to a quart and a half is normal! On what planet is that normal? I’ve never had a car use this much oil. Excessive oil consumption wears engine parts out. At this rate my engine is going to be ruined. I’ve only had this car for 2 years.

27. Avatar
    Melinda howell
    July 24, 2022 at 8:43 pm

Bought my 2019 Kia Sportage 6-16-22 already stalling and using oil has less than 30,000 miles. Going for oil consumption test Thursday just had a Kia Optima new engine should have kept it after the engine replacement

28. Avatar
    Cindy Estep
    July 29, 2022 at 6:08 pm

I bought my 2015 Kia serento in May of 2021. I drove it a couple of weeks and it started stalling and would not go over 60 miles an hour. I was planning on taking it on vacation so I took it to CarTowne Kia in Nicholasville KY and they said they couldn’t find anything wrong with it but it needed brakes so I put brakes on it. Took it on vacation to Hilton Head and while down there it was not running right and you had to make sure you kept the gas pedal down or it would stall. On the way home in North Carolina going up a mountain it quit pulling the hill in the middle of the interstate and luckily I got pulled over to edge of interstate and had to call AAA. They towed it and looked at it and said a coil was loose. I had to get motel room (2) of them because I had five kids my daughter and a friend with us at the cost of 172.00 a night each. We ride home with friend and I had to make 300 mile trip back to get it. Got it home ok but a week later started stalling and not going over 60 miles an hour. I took it back to Car Towne Kia in Nicholasville KY. They said they couldn’t find anything wrong might need new catalytic converter. I told them to put one on and it did run better for few days until I started down drive way and every light on it came on a kept stalling stopped checked oil and it was 4 quarts low took it to CarTowne Kia they called Kia main office they wanted to do oil consumption test. Main Kia headquarters denied it. If I wanted to pay 500 dollars for it I could have it done. The car had leaked no oil on my driveway so it is burning it through the motor they told me I had a bad piston and I might be able to get new motor through Kia. I found out later it was through class action law suit that settled in 2020 defective motor. I was told though I could not get a new motor until it blew up and quit. I bought the Kia from a major dealer in Morehead and they failed to tell me about the settlement on the car and engine replacement and defects before I bought it. It was a Chevy dealer in Morehead Ky. Only dealership in Morehead. That was an illegal thing to do in my opinion. I bought the car used in May 2021. Settlement was in 2020 summer. It has been driven Approx 1500 miles because it drinks oil and you don’t know when it’s going to stall! I’ve called the Kia settlement people and 3 times I have been transferred to higher up people to see why the motor has to blow before they honor the terms of the settlement. I have been cut off 3 times after waiting for 30 to 45 minutes at a time. I think I need a lawyer to get it fixed. What do we do. You get lifetime warranty on motor but they won’t replace it till it blows up and your stranded or killed on the side of the road? That’s ludicrous!

29. Avatar
    Judith A Glidewell
    August 7, 2022 at 2:43 pm

2015 kia Sorento here. Last 2 oil changes they have remarked no oil showing on dipstick. Engine started stalling today and checked oil, down 2 qts and I’m still 3k from oil change. I use synthetic oil and have never missed a change. I have 9k left on my extended warranty.

30. Avatar
    Nikki Cornelius
    August 12, 2022 at 11:59 am

My 2014 Kia Rio burns so much oil I have to get it topped off twice between oil changes and cannot go over 3000 miles or it will run out of oil. How do I get in on this law suit?

31. Avatar
    Shane Taylor
    August 14, 2022 at 9:47 am

We have a 2017 Kia Optima and it is consuming about a half quart of oil every week. We noticed the oil burning at about 60,000. When accelerating the engine sounds like a chain or roller coaster.

32. Avatar
    Richard Stone Barnes
    August 20, 2022 at 6:17 pm

It’s the piston rings they where hardened to much at factory causing oil to blow by them into combustion chamber then to the exhaust, as soon as its exited the motor the exhaust “bubble” manifold stops a little bit of it then it burns up the flex exhaust hose and sticks to itand basically melts through it because the catalytic converter is stopped up from used burnt motor oil thus burning vehicle occures, and the design of the coil packs for the spark plugs when changing spark plugs the coil packs closest to the driver side has to “wiggle ” around the alluminam fuel line and try not to break it’s connection seal or fuel will start to spray on motor thus creating major fire hazard and loss of life. All the recall B/S only covers the 1.8 and the 2.2 GDI engins and the one I drive is a 2.0 GDI motor and its doing the exact same thing. KIA MOTORS YOU HAVE LET ME DOWN AND BROKEN MY TRUST WITH YOU NOW FIX Y’ALL’S F##K UP’S AND BE BETTER THEN YOU WAS BEFORE!!!!

33. Avatar
    Andrea S.
    September 21, 2022 at 5:12 pm

I am sick and tired of having to constantly check oil levels. I’m no mechanic. I just put oil in my Tucson this morning! Went for an oil change and was told that there was barely any oil in the car. How? The oil light never came on and when it does it’s just a flicker. If you don’t catch it you will be in trouble. I’ve had a few cars and none of them have had the engine oil just vanish. What I don’t understand is Hyundai has been sending the same recall to its owners since February and all it keeps saying is “stand by for a resolution”. Really?? They are just piling up in my car at this point. Hyundai needs to own up to these faulty models and compensate the owners.

34. Avatar
    Stacy
    September 27, 2022 at 10:33 am

We have a 2015 Kia Soul. It burns oil. We drove to my father’s house, who has worked on cars for years, a few states away and found we were VERY low on oil once we arrived. We had them perform three 1,000 mile tests to see if the oil consumption was enough for them to repair the problem. The first two tests they said that it didn’t burn enough oil for them to fix the issue. The third time, after I kept complaining, they decided to keep the KIA over night and use combustion cleaner to see if that would help. It did help some but the engine still burns about 1 quart of oil after driving 2,500 miles. Are we able to be added to this class action lawsuit???

I am very concerned of having larger issues later because of this problem.

1. Christopher
      Christopher
      September 27, 2022 at 2:38 pm

Hi Stacy. Nothing you need to do to join the class action, but to be kept in the loop with this case submit your complaint here.

35. Avatar
    Melissa Vargas
    September 28, 2022 at 4:15 pm

This is my second Kia vehicle to have this problem. My first was a Kia Rio and now it’s my Kia Optima. I have been burned twice with Kia refusing to honor the manufacturer warranty on these engines. They have gotten out of repairs by putting the fault on me both times stating lack of maintenance which is not the case at all. I have only taken my car for service at Kia this second time around because I didn’t want them using the excuse that it was due to the other service center which was their reason. Now that they cannot blame another service center they are saying it is me. Bottom line these engines are defective. This is my second rodeo so I know it isn’t me. Currently I have a Tech Line case open with Kia Consumer regarding their refusal to repair under the warranty. I don’t know what outcome I’ll get but I want to get in on this if possible. My first car’s engine completely locked up. It was done for and I still owed on it. I feel like they got me once and now I feel like I can’t let them get me again. This is not my fault.

36. Avatar
    Carl Woodard
    September 30, 2022 at 8:17 pm

2014 Kia Optima, the engine uses a quart every two weeks with local driving. It has 143k miles, so I keep a close eye on the oil every other day! Me and Auto Zone are friends.

37. Avatar
    Walter Owenby
    October 3, 2022 at 8:13 pm

We own a 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. The car had only 59501 miles when we were first alerted by the technician at a Valvoline Quick Lube in McKinney, TX that the oil was almost 4 quarts low! The OIL light was never on before I drove in for the service! I just now (Oct. 3, 2022) put 2 quarts in it after driving it only 923 miles since the last addition. It has used 5 quarts of oil since the last oil change on July 28, 2022 and has only been driven 3123 miles. I have also been given the run around by the local dealers talking the company line of “oil consumption tests, upper combustion chamber cleaning, etc”. Seems like I am doing a perpetual oil consumption test and have records back to when we purchased the vehicle. My wife and I travel a bit due to family living so far away and I will not take off on a roadtrip without 2 or 3 quarts of oil stashed in the back of the car. The engine is junk! No more Hyundai vehicles for me! I certainly hope the lawsuit prevails for the plaintiffs and we all get a little something for this aggravation!

38. Avatar
    Brenda Morton
    October 5, 2022 at 1:46 pm

I have a 2016 Hyundai Sonata. The amount of oil it has used is unreal. Every 2 – 3 weeks it needs 3 quarts of oil. Had it towed 2 times to Hyundai Dealership I’m past 12 months. They are not interested in resolving the issue. My 2016 was part of the Theta engine class action and nothing is being done. My car has stalled on me twice while driving, I had spark plugs replaced last Sept. 2021 now the dealership is telling g me I need new ones. WHAT?? I have never owned a vehicle that needed new spark plugs and assembly every year. My engine has blown oil all over the engine compartment and they want to do an oil consumption test??? How is that possible when it does t run. I am done with their BS, please how can I get in on this lawsuit. Hyundai does not take ownership of any defaults. Nor are they honoring their Theta engine obligations. I will never buy another POS Hyundai…

39. Avatar
    Tammy Fabis
    October 9, 2022 at 8:07 pm

How do I join the lawsuit?
    2017 Soul. One consumption test/mfg. “fix” of cleaning combustion chamber. Just started second consumption test – dipstick below the low mark after 1000 miles.

40. Avatar
    Sheena G
    October 11, 2022 at 6:17 pm

My car is a 2016 Sonata Se and I have experienced high oil consumption as well. My last oil change was 8/2022 and I was not due for another oil change until mid October. Since then I have had to put oil in my car twice (5 quartz each time) & just today the oil light has come back on. I have had my car shut down on a busy Atlanta highway due to my car eating up some so much oil. I’ve had my car for at least 7 years and have never experienced this until this year. I keep oil in my garage. I have had my car service several times at the nearest Hyundai dealership and have asked many of times why my car is going through oil like this and then some lazy guy starts to mansplain ” well some cars just use a lot of oil” without actually doing any investigating. I’m a single mother of two & I can’t be without my car. The risk that Hyundai is taking by having their vehicles out on the open road with a potential fire hazard is unsettling. How was there never a recall notice about this? In addition to that, the paint on my car seems to disappear. We as consumers expect this to be taking seriously. How inconsiderate Hyundai, you’re putting my self, my children and thousands of others at risk!

41. Avatar
    Joe Hielscher
    October 14, 2022 at 6:55 pm

I have the same symptoms on a 2015 Kia Soul that started consuming 2-3 quarts in 1000 miles. We have serviced the vehicle according to the required maintenance schedule since we purchased it new. The dealer performed the 1000-mile consumption test, which it failed. Following that, we were charged $1250 for Combustion Chamber Cleaning which is documented in TSB 222 as a “Repair”. We were told further that our Kia “was not under a power-train warranty” though it only has 82k miles, so it is covered for 10y/100k. Coverage was denied by Kia-USA and the dealer with both claiming that combustion chamber cleaning is a “Maintenance” procedure. It is not documented in required maintenance intervals in the owner’s or warranty manual.

I will be appealing the denial of the repair under the power train warranty to arbitration as Kia USA has rejected it.

How do we join the class-action lawsuit and get the cost of the combustion chamber cleaning refunded, and proceed to engine replacement if that is necessary?

1. Christopher
      Christopher
      October 18, 2022 at 6:50 am

Joe this is an ongoing case, so you won’t need to do anything to be considered a part of a potential class action settlement. If this case settles, anyone who was affected would be able to claim compensation. But we do recommend adding your complaint so we have you on record and send you any important updates that pertain to this lawsuit. Hope this helps.

Yoni Fernandez
        November 19, 2022 at 9:14 pm

The 2018 Kia optima I have oil light started flickering after 2000 miles from fresh oil change . Didn’t think much of it . Checked after more miles bone dry no oil on dipstick. Went to dealership advisor said we had to go to some steps so first a no other oil change and see if it happens again. Well after a 1000 miles after oil change the dipstick is half way down . It needed 1 qrt and little more . Unacceptable.

42. Avatar
    Sarah Zigler
    October 15, 2022 at 3:07 pm

2017 Kia Soul
    Documented proof of regular and timely oil changes. We have to regularly check the oil because the low oil light no longer comes on. The engine light came on recently so when we checked the dip stick no oil was present on the stick. This was after an oil change and the car had only been driven 2,358 miles. Prior to all of this the car had been in the dealership for two excessive oil consumption 1000 miles tests.

Supposedly it passed the second test because it burnt .5 quart of oil.
    Just had it in again today 10/15/2022 but because we put oil in it to drive it to the dealership they denied our claim of excessive oil consumption. Now we will drive it and when it no longer shows oil on the dip stick ( which won’t take long ) we will make yet another appointment.

43. Avatar
    Susan Staples
    October 18, 2022 at 6:15 pm

Similar story- We own a 2017 Kia Sportage. 94k. Had a usual oil change several months ago per usual when he said the oil was very low. He changed/filled it and after another 1,000 miles checked it myself – bone dry. Took to auto mechanic and he knew of KIA’s oil consumption problem. No leakage issues. Filled it and marked it and said to come back in 500 miles. That was today and it need another quart. Auto mechanic said it will only get worse with time. Livid.

44. Avatar
    Bobbie Jo
    October 19, 2022 at 9:27 pm

2015 kia sorento.. The engine already replaced through the knock sensor class settlement. The engine in it now is just hitting the 100k and I am putting at least 3-4 quarts in between every 3k oil change. Brought it to my mechanic to look for leaks and he said there was no leaks and i am burning it. I can smell the burning more and more as of recently. I have already gone through 3 catalytic converter’s within two years. after 1k miles the oil is dark black and just barely showing on the dip stick.

45. Avatar
    McFarland
    October 20, 2022 at 9:23 pm

I stumbled onto this class action situation by accident. I have a 2013 Kia Soul echo. I purchased it used in 2015.
    Just recently, 15 September 2022, had an oil change at Jiffy Lube. They told me there was no oil on the dipstick. First time and thought it very unusual, considering I do regular oil changes and maintenance on this vehicle, not wanting to have any major issues. From day one had issues with alignment. Recently replaced just about the entire underneath of the vehicle. Best it ever handled.
    I just checked the oil on,18 October 2022, it was below the full mark. Went back to Jiffy Lube, they added less then a quart. Then oil looked dirtier than it should for only a month old. I was told it was my engine.I maybe a female but, I didn’t fall off the turnip truck yesterday. I know how to do a proper PMCS on vehicles bigger than this Kia Soul. I’ve never had a leak, oil light come on. On occasion it has sounded odd. Like it was low, but, thought it was just cause the engine was still cold. After doing errands today. I now have an oil leak. I don’t like what I’m reading. Never had vehicle issues, with my Toyota Camry. This is unexceptable, vehicle isn’t even ten years old. For it to be dismissed as something normal for it to burn oil. No, not exceptable.

46. Avatar
    Amber Grayson
    October 21, 2022 at 1:27 pm

I have 2 years worth of oil change Information from my kia service department. As well as 3 oil consumption tests done with no resolution. I have a 2018 kia optima.

47. Avatar
    Sharleen
    October 24, 2022 at 10:40 am

how do you join the lawsuit? I have a 2014 sorento with this oil consumption problem. I was told it wasn’t under this recall & they can’t do anything about it because I am outside of warranty & I’m not included in the lawsuit.

M McFarland
      November 2, 2022 at 5:17 pm

In addition to my first comment on 20 October. There is also excessive excelleration that has started in the last two years. My mileage is 124331. I don’t drive much being disabled. Usually once a week for errands. More of I have doctor appointments. Which has been several issues this last year. This oil consumption issue is above and beyond.

48. Avatar
    Sheri
    October 28, 2022 at 8:51 pm

I have a 2018 Kia Soul with a. 2.0 GDI motor the same motor that is involved in the last lawsuit. I was driving around 75 miles with the cruise control and the RPM’s were at 5. I thought it was due to going uphill but when we were on level ground it still was high.. I took it off of cruise control and that’s when my engine started shaking and the engine light was blinking. No oil light, it never over heated. It drove fine, but was just really shaky. I made it home and had it towed to the nearest Kia dealership when I was told I had a blown head gasket. I was also told that my engine block cracked and that I need a new engine and its not covered under warranty both for the the 100,000 warranty nor the lawsuit warranty. They want me to pay 7 grand for a new engine. I am a single mom and need to get to work. I might get fired and they don’t offer anything. There is a current TSA with Kia service centers about the Oil consumption. I am lost I might have to declare bankruptcy if I can’t get help. I can’t keep paying for a car I can’t drive!

49. Avatar
    Dana
    October 31, 2022 at 11:21 pm

I own a 2016 Kia Sorento, second owner. I was driving on a very busy highway in the left lane over 65 m/h, my car suddenly slowed down and started shaking. I crossed 3 lanes and barely made it to the shoulder without getting killed while others were passing me at a very high speed. The car stalled.
    I had it towed to a dealer. I am told I need an engine replacement and it’s not covered under warranty and that it will cost me around $10000. The car has over 75000 miles, has been using excessive oil. I need help. I need a car to commute to work and to school. I spent a lot of money to buy this car. It was supposed to last many more years. The car has been at a dealer.

50. Avatar
    Steven McRae
    November 1, 2022 at 2:10 pm

My 2014 Kia Rio lx is consuming oil at an alarming rate this has been consistent since I purchased car at 59000 miles. It consumes 5 quarts in like a week. Wasn’t aware had a lawsuit against Kia.

51. Avatar
    Cary Barfield
    November 9, 2022 at 2:53 pm

How do I join the law suit my kia soul has just run into the same issue

1. Christopher
      Christopher
      November 10, 2022 at 7:16 am

Cary this is an ongoing case, so you won’t need to do anything to be considered a part of a potential class action settlement. If this case settles, anyone who was affected would be able to claim compensation. But we do recommend adding your complaint so we have you on record and send you any important updates that pertain to this lawsuit. Hope this helps.

Upset Kia buyer
        December 16, 2022 at 3:09 pm

How do we add our 2019 Kia to the at least a quart a week with documentation of oil changes

52. Avatar
    Felipe Tavares
    November 9, 2022 at 5:44 pm

I bought my Kia Optima S 2019 6 months ago and doing a routine oil check, I noticed that the level was very low. I took to a place to a oil and filter change ONE month ago and the oil level is already lower than the minimum. I dont see/feel any smell or sign of smoke, and no leaking at all. My garage doesnt have a single drop of oil on the ground. I now know, by reading some info and comments in this page, that my engine has serious issues. 🙁

Felipe Tavares
      November 10, 2022 at 11:23 am

adding some info: my car has now something around 65.000 miles. I bought it in May/22 with around 62.000 miles, from a big branded dealer here in Texas.

2. Avatar
      Sara hillis
      November 29, 2022 at 9:12 pm

My sons 2017 kia optima hybrid is currently waiting at kia for a new motor, he is up to date on service and currently has 61,000 miles on his car. Kia requested service records because he had oil changed once at a car shop.we are hoping they replace engine at no cost. We are currently waiting for an answer.

53. Avatar
    Richard Bay
    November 11, 2022 at 8:43 am

We bought a 2018 Kia Soul 1.6L because my other vehicle is a Silverado for pulling my boat. (I am a fishing guide so I need the truck). Anyway we saw it with 79,000 miles and thought what a bargain. Love the whole car and luckily I’m savvy enough to have heard a slight knock. Quart low after 1,000 miles. Had engine flush, new gaskets: head and valve cover and it is worse. Now nearly a quart after 750 miles. This is BS but I can’t find how to add my name to the class action suit. Please help. TIA Rich

1. Christopher
      Christopher
      November 11, 2022 at 10:17 am

Richard this is an ongoing case, so you won’t need to do anything to be considered a part of a potential class action settlement. If this case settles, anyone who was affected would be able to claim compensation. But we do recommend adding your complaint so we have you on record and send you any important updates that pertain to this lawsuit. Hope this helps.

Richard Bay
        November 15, 2022 at 9:21 am

How do I add my complaint?

1. Christopher
          Christopher
          November 17, 2022 at 7:45 am

Richard, please follow this link: Add Your Car Complaint

2. Avatar
        Shavonne Bolden
        November 16, 2022 at 2:19 pm

How do we go about making a complaint as my 2017 Kia optima is having these same issues I’ve gotten a tune up battery replacement I’ve been getting an oil change twice a month with having to add more oil in between
        Those times. Now my engine light is on and I got an oil Change yesterday the engine light is on and my car is shaking I’ve had this car two years.

1. Christopher
          Christopher
          November 17, 2022 at 7:47 am

Shavonne please follow this link to add your car problem

54. Avatar
    Tim McCollum
    November 15, 2022 at 5:40 pm

My wife & I purchased this 2017 Kia Soul, 2.0 ltr, new from a local dealer in Cartersville, Georgia. We were looking at the other models with 1.6 ltr engines when the saleman suddenly suggested this vehicle that was being housed in their warehouse. I was suspicious from the start, as it was quite evident from how dirty it was and the huge amount of dust on it when he brought it to the dealership about 20 minutes or so later that it had been in storage for many months. I mean, why would you leave a brand new, in demand vehicle sitting for months in a warehouse and allow it to become this dirty? Nevertheless, it was my wife’s choice as it was a new work transportation for her daily commute of ~75 miles round trip. We had purchased 2 previous new Kias, 2008 Rio 5 & 2013 Soul 1.6 ltr, from this dealership and thought they were trustworthy. The vehicle is currently showing in the 99,000 mileage range. It has always been extremely well maintained (as have all of our vehicles), with regular oil changes and other services done at the dealership until the program expired. I’ve kept the maintenance performed since, using only the finest lubricant & filters available, regularly at 3000 mile intervals. I am a mechanic and am knowledgable in just about every area of vehicle maintenance/repair, extending from passenger vehicles up to semi truck/trailer rigs, having run my own shops in the past and been employed by several others over the years. I am experienced in virtually all aspects of vehicle repair/maintenance. I keep a written maintenance record in the back of the owner’s manual showing type of lubricant used, brand, date of service, current mileage, etc. It has been loosing oil between changes for quite some time, as I keep a regular check and top it off weekly (1/2 quart per week at least). It doesn’t smoke, that can be seen, and has no oil leaks. It was only when I recently changed the spark plugs that I realized where the oil had to be going. The #3 cylinder with the coil/plug below the fuel regulator (you know, one of the parts that have been known to cause the fires) apparently is the culprit, at least the most prominent. That plug had significant carbon deposits. And then a few weeks ago the service engine light activated, the code showing that the emission system was not funtioning correctly and below minimum standard. Of course the excessive oil consumption is ruining the catalytic converter, along with other major engine components. After putting in an emission system cleaner into the fuel the light eventually turned off, but of course we all know this is simply a temporary solution and does nothing in regard to the factory defect and damage to the engine from said defect.
    My wife & I are in our early 60’s currently and she had recently pulled some funds from her retirement to pay off both my vehicle and this Kia Soul. I’m disabled and we needed to cut expenses to allow breathing space on our monthly expenses. She did this as we expected these to be the last vehicles we’d likely need to purchase. Now, it appears that we’re looking at having to replace this Kia so that she will have reliable transportation to & from work until she will be eligible for retirement. This is totally unacceptable, and as it is readily apparent to any knowledgable person that these problems are the result of shoddy workmanship and manufacturing, the manufacturer should/must be made to rectify these problems. We will never purchase another Kia product. Thank you for your help and for keeping this relevant information available.

55. Avatar
    Christina L
    November 16, 2022 at 9:59 pm

I too have a 2019 Kia Soul and a few months back my car has stalled randomly and didn’t know why!! I was well under all warranty miles but when you go to make appointment in my area it’s 3months before you can even get an appointment to get any issues looked at so your forced to outsource a mechanic to not cause further damage to the vehicle!! Ughhh then that issue seem to go away as it happened less! Then I was hearing noises and my car would not accelerate as it shoul I once again call A dealership to set an appointment it was once again a 3 month wait to even get seen for my issue!! I called around and found an appt 1month 1/2 sooner I take it in and gues what they tell me now at 90,000 to 95,000 miles oh we don’t hear anything and we see sludge in the oil area I was like I get oil changes regularly also I didn’t understand but nothing else was found wrong so they say and as I leave dealership I hear the same noise !!’ But they didn’t ! They know people need their car and have to drive so they avoid certain problem so they don’t have to honor the warranty!!’ I will join any lawsuit against this corporation!!

56. Avatar
    Tim McCollum
    November 18, 2022 at 12:46 pm

Just a follow up:
    In my above post I spoke of the service engine light activating because of the excessive oil consumption, which required adding a quart of the top emission system cleaner to the fuel which finally got the light to go off. This was around 2 weeks ago.
    Yesterday morning, on my wife’s 35 mile trip to work on the interstate the light reactivated, with the same OBD II code being set showing the emission system not functioning properly and well below minimum standards, again. These engines are total garbage, as in only 2 weeks the defect has allowed so much oil loss that the catalytic converter has again become disfunctional. Having the catalytic converter replaced is NOT CHEAP, and even if it was changed the new replacement would be ruined in a very short time frame. I don’t foresee this engine lasting too much longer, what with these major problems. What are people such as ourselves to do? You know, the honest hard-working Americans who live on a fixed income, pay our bills, and follow the laws of the land. Only to be conned and ripped off by an unscrupulous car manufacturer that provides a defective product, and refuses to stand behind their promises and warranties. These situations need to be addressed ASAP.

Jennifer Lynn Stabley
      January 25, 2023 at 4:50 am

Hey there Ikea 2014 Sorento started running weird well over a year ago and when I check the oil it was completely dry so well for a period of time I Rec adding oil I got my oil changes finally took it to Kia they made me pay $100 for an oil consumption test which showed my engine was burning oil which I already knew and they kept telling me the catalytic converter code was coming up it wasn’t the engine I asked could the engine burning oil destroy the catalytic converter he says no I said well according to my research it can and then when I went back and for them to check after my consumption test was done he changed his story and said oh yeah absolutely my catalytic converters destroyed it was the day before my son’s birthday November 22nd 2022 driving him to school and to celebrate his birthday with his friends and the card seized up I sat in the parking lot someone had to come pick us up it wouldn’t go over 5 miles an hour I’m still not driving it I had it towed to a Kia dealership an hour away because they convinced me over the phone they would replace the engine long story short they said no it’s not throwing the code so now you have to pay us $200 and then I had to pay another couple hundred to have it towed home so in total I spent $600 for nothing being a single mom of a child with special need to as therapies and doctor’s appointments and having to borrow somebody’s car because they refuse to fix my car they refuse to replace the engine they wanted over 8 Grand to replace the engine and I said the same thing why would I do that if it’s going to destroy my catalytic converter again his response was well your bat in zero for zero today aren’t you so frustrating this is a huge problem in these cars and I’m just sick of it and they need to replace it and they need to replace the catalytic converter too and knowing that it’s destroying it

57. Avatar
    Mike Cook
    November 21, 2022 at 2:00 pm

2017 Kia Sportage owner. Need to add oil every two weeks. Please keep me informed with the lawsuit.

58. Avatar
    Amber Miller
    November 21, 2022 at 2:11 pm

Ever since I bought the 2018 Optima I been at the car dealership more than my own home! Really frustrated with the whole run around about the oil consumption tests and the song and dances. This song is over, someone at Kia better get it straight!

59. Avatar
    Melinda Howell
    November 22, 2022 at 10:01 am

I bought my 2019 Kia Sportage 6/16:22 Ans 2 weeks later I’m making a u turn Ans it stalls out Ans took a minute to start again check engine light came on oil light Ans batttery took it straight to the dealer but beciase it didn’t throw a code there was nothing theh could do car has 32,000 miles I’m just waiting for it to go out on me

60. Avatar
    Joe
    November 23, 2022 at 1:12 pm

My did the same, Hyundai want to charge me $8000 for the repair, oil change mine every 5000 miles. Never ever buying another Hyundai or recommend anyone.

61. Avatar
    Isaac
    November 23, 2022 at 11:59 pm

Thanks for this info. Kia Sorento 2016 about 55k miles in 6 years. This has been a great car until this year. I purchased a certified pre owned with 100k / 10 year extended warranty. I’ve done all the required maintenance works on a regular basis.

Did an oil change January 2022, and came back to a shop for checking something else, and the mechanic found out my Sorento almost had no engine oil in it. Went back to the dealership that I purchased this one from and did an oil consumption test. After driven 1k miles, they’ve confirmed the engine is consuming oil rapidly. They recommended a combustion chamber cleaning ($800), but they said it wouldn’t be covered by the warranty. They said that the certified pre owned warranty comes from another company, which is refusing to cover any items related to this issue — no chamber cleaning or engine replacement.

1. Christopher
      Christopher
      November 24, 2022 at 7:34 am

Isaac, combustion chamber cleaning service will not solve the oil comsumption problems long term. Its a bandaid on a mechanical defect. This post explains why: Combustion chamber cleaning.

62. Avatar
    Ricky Moore
    November 27, 2022 at 12:07 pm

2013 kia sorento using quart to 2 between changes if taking trip have to keep check on oil been going on for while just found out about suit

63. Avatar
    Darrel Newsom
    November 29, 2022 at 6:15 pm

2016 Optima only 81000 miles and is burning oil like crazy. The oil light came on for a second and went off, checked the oil and was down 4 quarts ( just had oil changed 3000 miles ago). Car is only driven to work one day a week 70 miles round trip. My wife has been working from home since the pandemic started.

64. Avatar
    Lorraine Catt
    December 1, 2022 at 10:44 am

I have a 2016 Hyundai Tucson and I have to add 8-10 quarts between oil changes.
    My mom borrowed my dad’s 2014 Kia Sportage and the engine just ceased. She was unaware that she had to add oil frequently as it’s my dad’s car and he didn’t tell her.
    These vehicles are garbage.
    For mine, I never get an oil light. My engine light comes on so I add oil and in a day or two it goes back out for about a week
    So sick of never getting assistance

65. Avatar
    Mo
    December 2, 2022 at 9:05 pm

How can we support the lawsuit? It is ridiculous how this is being handled … I was taking care of my it by myself checking oil level ever couple of weeks .. then was ‘advised’ by the dealership to do the ‘oil consumption test’ and not to top up oil myself to keep testing results valid… I do that .. 3rd test, oil consumption 2 quarts in 1000 miles .. engine light on .. warranty claim denied .. resale value dropped ..

I am surely not the only one .. we are probably thousands of consumers who are going through this and the way Hyundai is trying to dismiss the class action lawsuit and escape responsibility is outrageous..

Any suggestions or thoughts?

1. Christopher
      Christopher
      December 5, 2022 at 8:37 am

Hi Mo. This is big case which will take some time for the court system to work through. Continue to stay on top of your oil consumption problem, and subscribe to this post. As soon as our partner attorney provides an update, it will be posted here immediately.

66. Avatar
    Joseph kennon
    December 5, 2022 at 1:41 pm

2016 Sorrento using 2 quarts of oil battery 500 miles and Kia won’t do nothing about it been dealing with this since my car had 54,000 miles on it and it just now has 78,000 on it. Kia tells me that’s the way those motors are.

67. Avatar
    John
    December 13, 2022 at 3:30 pm

Hello,
    My 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD, seized up while driving down the freeway at 103,000 miles. It was 3.5 quarts low on oil, and had been about 6500 miles since the last oil change.
    It has the 3.3 motor, and there was no warning. This motor doesn’t even seem to have a low oil monitoring system in it.

68. Avatar
    Kimberly Hoggard
    December 13, 2022 at 5:12 pm

I have a 2018 Kia Sorento. It has used excessive amounts of oil for a long time now. I just took it to be looked at by someone other than Kia and they informed me that it has half the compression it is supposed to have. It needs new seals or possibly a whole new motor.

69. Avatar
    Juan D.
    December 19, 2022 at 1:02 pm

I have a 2015 Kia forte that has been low or having no oil at the last 3 oil changes. Car is still under warranty at 90k miles. I am doing an oil consumption test now at a Kia dealership.

70. Avatar
    Brian Luscombe
    December 20, 2022 at 4:20 pm

I have 51,000 miles on my 2016 Kia Optima and it is starting to burn oil like crazy. I had to put 5 quarts in over the last 5,700 miles. Dealer refuses to cover under Pre-Certified Owner coverage or lawsuit coverage. They are installing a “tamper-proof oil cap” and want me to drive it for 1,000 miles. Then they say I will have to spend close to $500 to get engine cleaned out!

Tim
      January 4, 2023 at 1:38 pm

Sell that car now. Kia will not honor replacing engine under warranty. I am currently going thru aggravation on same issue. 2016 Kia Optima – went in for several oil consumption tests and Kia denied any wrong doing. Told me it was normal oil usage . Had to add 1 -2 quarts of oil every other week (roughly 200 to 300 miles) per every other week usage. They will drag you out till your original warranty expires and then tell you your not covered when motor blows. They wont honor the history of oil consumption testing and other related repairs due to oil consumption. SEEL THAT CAR NOW!!! AND BUY ANYTHING ELSE OTHER THAN A KIA OR HYUNDAI

71. Avatar
    Kareena Herman
    December 27, 2022 at 9:33 pm

We have this issue happened took into the dealership and they replaced the whole engine and it is happening again to this second engine about 6,000 miles outside of warranty. We keep checking the oil but the sensors are going off and it burns through oil quickly.

72. Avatar
    Kay Hughes
    December 28, 2022 at 12:56 pm

The oil flickered on and off, but the next service was not due for another 2000 miles. I went the the service station that I have been going to since purchasing the car. They looked at the oil gauge, it was dirty and very low. They informed me of the oil usage problem and that it should be taken to the Hyundai dealership. The recall listed at Hyundai is for Anti-lock brake system. I had to search for the oil usage problem on line. I am taking the print out of the oil usage problem to the dealership that I have an appointment with, hoping they will address the problem.
    I don’t see that there is an actual Hyundai fix for this or that there is an cut off date for remedy for the problem. The service place said there was a cut off date.

73. Avatar
    Krystal
    December 29, 2022 at 1:02 am

I’ve been having this same issue with my 2015 optima. I carry oil with me because I’m constantly having to check oil level in between the oil changes. At my oil changes I’m told my oil is dirty and low.

74. Avatar
    Kimberly Hoggard
    January 4, 2023 at 10:30 am

I have a 2018 Kia Sorento with the same excessive oil consumption as everyone else. It makes me sick to read all of these stories and to know that Kia is doing everything they can to avoid it. My car is currently at a Kia dealership they’re telling me 1st that I needed a new motor now they don’t advise that but they have another suggestion but no matter what they’re not paying for it so I just need to know who it is that I need to contact to get this taken care of please.

75. Avatar
    Jillian
    January 6, 2023 at 7:14 am

My 2018 Kia Optima w/theta engine has an oil consumption issue and would like to be apart of this class action lawsuit

76. Avatar
    Steven Cosmah
    January 7, 2023 at 7:49 pm

On November 25th of 2021 my wife was taking my daughter and grandchildren home and our 2015 Santa Fe stalled and loss power with lights coming on the dash and coming to a stop. It would not start at all. My wife called me with a panic voice about what had happened. Unfortunately I was in a hospital at the time and had to had to the vehicle towed to a place close to our home. We had it towed to a local repair facility here in Inverness Florida. It being a holiday we had to wait until the next day for it to be looked at by the facility. They called me and told me they had gotten it started and sent me a video of the awful noise coming from our engine. They then provided the estimate for a replacement engine. It was $13500.00 – $15000.00 total cost. We dont have that kind of money to make the repair on the vehicle.

We contacted Hyundai and they told me that after their investigation they have me the decision that our vehicle was not in warranty and not eligible to help with the repair. Our Santa Fe has been sitting in our driveway now for almost one year without being able to use it.

77. Avatar
    Stacey
    January 9, 2023 at 2:05 am

I have a 2016 Kia Optima. The last few years I have not put much mileage on the car. Starting last year it burns through all of the oil in less than 3000 miles. I noticed an occasional flicker of the oil light (when rounding a corner) right before I found out that the oil was so low that it was not even registering on the dip stick. Today was the second time that this has happened to me, and I was not aware that this was a common problem until today. I have also experienced a problem with my headlights turning off randomly a few times. I read elsewhere of others having this problem.

78. Avatar
    Dan
    January 9, 2023 at 6:58 pm

Our 2019 optima just started burning oil this fall, I didn’t realize it was an issue until the oil light started to occasionally flicker. So I took it in for an oil change and the tech told me the oil was very low with no leak and there was probably an oil consumption issue. This was mid Dec 2022. We traveled over the holiday and when traveling went over the 60k mark not knowing that the second owner warranty stops at 60k. When I called Kia they said it’s no longer covered. I asked if there have been problems with other Kia’s and she said, not that she knew of.

79. Avatar
    Jacob W
    January 12, 2023 at 2:33 pm

Same thing happened with mine. I bought my 2018 Kia Sorento new and had regular oil changes to the best of my memory. I get a check engine light and a couple stalls from idle and take it to the dealership for warranty coverage. They take the engine apart and tell me warranty declined because of engine sludge. Never again will I buy from them.

80. Avatar
    carlson channell
    January 13, 2023 at 2:09 pm

Purchased 2017 kia optima 6/2021, 40,000 on odometer, ck”d oil after 2200 miles and had to add 2 qts of oil. i ordered a car fax and found that previous owner was using lube stop for oil changes,called them for info on my car. they changes oil roughly every 5000 mi. it was noted in their records that there was no oil on the dipstick all 3 times it was brought in for service. i took car in to dealer and they ran cleaner thru engine and that cleaned it up. i now have 57000 on odometer and i am at at roughly 1300 miles per quart of oil. Unfortunately car is out of warranty now and it costs approx 600.00 to get the system cleaned again. It’s a total joke for the company to sale this car.

81. Avatar
    Laurie Gibbs
    January 15, 2023 at 1:58 pm

Same for my 2018 Kia Optima. Had religious oil changes and all of a sudden my oil consumption is through the roof. Just had an oil change and oil light is on. Went to get service and completely empty. Had 3000 miles left before next oil change. Disgusting that once car is paid for car acts up. Takes 2 quarts of oil every few days.

82. Avatar
    Kelly
    January 17, 2023 at 5:13 pm

How do I get in on this. I am currently effected by this with my wheelchair accessible vehicle for my child. I cannot get him to college daily or to work. Please help me.

1. Christopher
      Christopher
      January 19, 2023 at 9:00 am

There is nothing you need to do to join this lawsuit Kelly. However we recommend you add your complaint so when a settlement is announced, you receive an email alert. Add your complaint here.

83. Avatar
    Devin
    January 19, 2023 at 2:04 am

2017 Kia Sportage. Car will stall out from idle occasionally or die while driving but I almost always am able to restart it after trying a few times Then I started noticing the flickering oil light when I was braking and that my oil consumption is SO BAD. I’m 2000 miles into my newest oil change and have had to add 2 full quarts. It started flickering again today so a third quart is in the future.
    What do we do to have this thing evaluated?!! I’m over 100k miles now and the problems are getting so much worse.

84. Avatar
    Amanda Green
    January 19, 2023 at 1:50 pm

I have a 2020 Kia Optima and I am now having trouble with my oil. I have always serviced my vehicle regularly. The other day I was driving and my oil light came on. I took the vehicle to get looked at and I was told my motor is burning oil. I was told my car holds 5 quarts and I was down to 1 quart and that is why my oil light had come on due to my oil being low. How do I get Kia to fix this issue.

1. Christopher
      Christopher
      January 19, 2023 at 3:30 pm

Amanda, this is a widespread defect. If the dealership won’t fix the issue under warranty, then your next recourse is to wait for this case to settle.

85. Avatar
    Michelle
    January 25, 2023 at 9:37 pm

My 2013 Elantra was running fine. Yes it did used oil.Then one day I got in and noticed the service engine light was on. I looked in my book and said it was save to drive to dealership. I stopped by the grocery store on the way there and the car never cranked again. I had it towed to two different auto shops and they state it is the engine. I feel that I need to be part of this lawsuit. Please email me the information.

86. Avatar