If you own a Gen III 5.7 or 6.4 Hemi powered car and are experiencing valve train problems, don’t worry, you’re not alone. A new class action lawsuit against Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) has been announced. The suit alleges that the valve train on the Gen III 5.7-liter HEMI or 6.4-liter HEMI 392 V-8 engine is prone to failure. Additionally, the suit alleges that FCA have known about the problem for some time but failed to take action.

If you’re impacted by this defect, what can you do? Read on for more information.

Owners Allege Valve Train Defect Causes Premature Engine Wear

According to the complaint, the alleged Hemi valve train defect can cause premature internal wear to the engine. This can create bigger problems down the road and shorten the lifespan of the engine. In fact, the suit claims when the valve train prematurely fails, the entire valve train needs to be replaced including the camshafts.

The suit alleges owners and lessees are often forced to pay out-of-pocket for repairs when not covered under warranty. Making matters worst, the replacement parts contain the same defects and could potentially fail while the vehicle is outside of the warranty period.

Additionally, the class action states “Despite access to aggregate internal data, FCA has actively concealed the existence of the Valve Train Defect by claiming that consumers are responsible for the failures, even when consumers follow FCA’s published maintenance schedules.”

Multi-Displacement System to Blame for Defective Valve Train?

FCA’s proprietary valve train technology, Multi-Displacement System (MDS) is a system designed to improve overall fuel consumption. It works through a combination of software and hardware to deactivate four of the engine’s eight cylinders at a certain engine RPM and cruising gear.

MDS utilizes specially designed lifters and solenoids combined with pressurized engine oil to activate or deactivate plungers inside the four collapsible lifters. The vehicle’s PCM is responsible for controlling this process as soon as the drivers foot is off the throttle, or maintaining steady speeds at low loads or minimal throttle. This system helps the vehicle consume less fuel overall.

Hemi MDS activation and deactivation of clinder order
MDS system activation and deactivation order of the Hemi cylinders

However, the suit claims the MDS system is defective and malfunctions. As a result, the defect causes damage to the lifters, camshafts, and valve train components. This damage requires replacement of the valve train components, including the camshafts.

Even worst, metal debris from the failing valve train can circulate throughout the engine, potentially causing total engine failure.

Defective Hemi Valve Train Causes Loss of Power While Driving

The suit claims the HEMI valve train problem may pose a serious safety concern to the vehicle occupants and other drivers on the road. Owners have complained of losing power while driving, as well as experiencing hesitation, surging and stalling. These issues have caused many problems for drivers, who report feeling unsafe while on the road.

What Are the Common Symptoms of the Hemi Valve Train Defect?

A common symptom of a failing Hemi valve train is a loud ticking noise coming from the engine when fully warmed up. If you notice this sound, it may be an indication that the valve train suffers from this defect.

Other common symptoms include: loss of power while driving, especially at highway speeds, or while trying to merge or change lanes, hesitation, surging, and stalling.

Is There A Fix For The 5.7 & 6.4 Hemi Problems?

Currently, there is no known fix available for the Hemi valve train issue. The suit claims the MDS system, which utilizes a combination of hardware and software is the likely culprit. Additionally, the suit alleges premature engine failure is possible due to design defects, materials and even workmanship of the valve train system. Therefore, replacing the defective part or engine does not resolve the problem, as the owner will be given another defective part.

FCA Vehicles Affected

The following Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and RAM vehicles are affected by this valve train system defect:

Status of the 5.7 & 6.4 Hemi Valve Train Defect Class Action Litigation

Class Action Currently Active

This is an active class action lawsuit. This suit has been brought on behalf of the Plaintiffs and a class of current and former Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and RAM vehicle owners.

Petro et al. v. FCA US LLC, case number 1:22-cv-00621, was filed in the United States District Court for the District of Delaware.

Hemi Valve Train Class Action Lawsuit FAQs

What is the Hemi Tick?

The Hemi tick is a tapping noise that affects many Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and RAM Hemi motors. This ticking noise can be caused by various problems, such broken or loose exhaust manifold bolts, roller rocker on the camshafts, faulty lifters, and loose spark plugs.

In some cases, the tick may be simply be caused from the vehicle being parked for extended periods of time.

Is the Hemi Tick Bad?

If the vehicle has been parked for long periods without use, then the tick noise upon cold start-up isn’t harmful. However, when the vehicle is up to normal operational temperature and the tick noise continues or even gets louder when driven, then this is a sign something is wrong.

How Common is the Hemi Tick?

Many owners claim the tick noise is common with Hemi Gen III 5.7 and 6.4 Hemi engines, and normal on cold startup. The tick noise typically lasts less than a minute. However, if the tick noise continues longer than a minute, it may be a sign of more serious mechanical problems.

Questions About This Lawsuit?

MyCarVoice.com is not counsel or the settlement administrator in this class action lawsuit. Our goal is to inform owners of these vehicles of the recent lawsuit. This post will be updated when/if new suit information is released.

Please considering subscribing to this post for critical updates.

Have you owned or leased a vehicle manufactured by FCA containing a defective Hemi valve train system? Add your voice to this post in the comments below.

Submit your Car Complaint

Last Updated on January 13, 2023

53 thoughts on “Gen III 5.7 Hemi & 6.4 Hemi Valve Train Problems Leads to Class Action Lawsuit. Here’s What You Need to Know

1. Avatar
    Kris
    June 11, 2022 at 8:25 am

I’m looking to jump on an active Lawsuit

I had a faulty Lifter & roller that ate my Cam. Shelled out over 3+k to get it fixed. Not to mention a whole month of not having a vehicle.

So if you have any info please contact me.

1. Christopher
      Christopher
      June 11, 2022 at 2:17 pm

Kris we recommend subscribing to this post for news or announcements pertaining to this suit.

1. Avatar
        Morris morgan
        October 5, 2022 at 11:00 am

I have a 2014 ram 1500. $5700 for repairs due to lifter failures. This is just now coming to light. I have talked to numerous local and national attorney law firms and no one is willing to take this case. I have another friend that it has happened to his 300 Chrysler as well. $5500 for his fix. We need help to get this out.

2. Avatar
        Adam Henshall
        December 19, 2022 at 9:17 pm

My 2015 Dodge Ram Sport just experienced engine failure with regards to this. Only 157,000KM absolutely crazy when a vehicle can’t outlast the payments. DODGE wants $16,000 to replace the entire engine

3. Avatar
        Nick
        January 27, 2023 at 9:13 am

Are 2013 1500 5.7 Hemi’s going to be included in this?? My engine just died last week from the same thing. All lifters and the camshafts had to be replaced. It is the same engine that is in the 2014 1500.

1. Christopher
          Christopher
          January 27, 2023 at 3:50 pm

Nick, there isn’t any current information suggesting MY2013 will be included.

4. Avatar
        Perry Lambert
        January 30, 2023 at 10:20 pm

Both my son and I have this problem, my son is In the process of having his diagnosed and repaired for approximately 3000.00 +.

2. Avatar
      Lisa
      June 20, 2022 at 12:00 pm

Will let you let me know if you find anything Kris? Just had the engine suddenly stop working on 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and founding a ton of problems with the 5.6L HEMI engine. I see a lot of issues in searching, but curious why they are not including the 2010’s with the same engine that has already been recalled by Chrysler for the exact same engine in their Dodge Challengers and a couple others?

3. Avatar
      Devon
      August 15, 2022 at 11:30 am

I got a 08 police interceptor 5.7 and my lifters and my cam went out and I got the Hemi tick my car been sitting down for a month because I can’t drive it cuz I’m scared my motor going to blow

4. Avatar
      Raju
      November 1, 2022 at 6:50 pm

I was just quoted $5500 by the Dealership to replace the Lifters and Cam Shaft. My concern is that since I am getting a misfire code, has the Metal from the breakdown down of the components entered other parts of the Motor. I followed the Manufacturers specs of oils changes at intervals of 10k miles with synthetic oil.. This is currently a nightmare, This is a known issue and Mopar will not fix it. Please let me know how to join this Class Action Suit and let my voice be put on record.

5. Avatar
      Justin Johnson
      January 21, 2023 at 8:38 pm

My 2015 Ram 1500 went out while I was driving right when I made my last payment. It said throttle body was out. Company said I needed a new motor. I also had a constant ticking noise even after I took it to the dealership to be fixed.

2. Avatar
    Don pressing
    June 20, 2022 at 8:23 pm

2012 same issues cam and lifter replaced and now it Knicks and consumes oil

3. Avatar
    Jonny
    June 22, 2022 at 10:53 am

I have 2 trucks 3500 and 2500 the 3500-6.4 hemmi 2020 with 89k start doing the kicking I take it to the dealer and warranty is expire. They want 12k or over to fixed! I still own 28k on it! I may just let f*** my credit and don’t put any more money on it!
    Midland Texas

1. Avatar
      Mike
      October 26, 2022 at 10:12 am

I’m dealing with this right now along with the failed exhaust manifold gaskets and broken bolts. All my research on this shows that hemi engines with out MDS system do not have this issue also been told it’s a cam Harding issue during the mfg process the cam
      Lobe is metal is to soft and fails do heat

4. Avatar
    Aaron
    June 26, 2022 at 3:41 pm

Christopher,

Thank you for compiling this information. I recently suffered the same cam/lifter fate on a 2015 Ram with only 80,000 miles. Is there a way that others like myself can support the lawsuit? Its outrageous that a valvetrain can’t even make it to 100k miles!

1. Christopher
      Christopher
      June 27, 2022 at 7:51 am

You’re welcome Aaron. No, nothing you need to do other than save all receipts of work related to the issue.

1. Avatar
        Aaron
        July 6, 2022 at 12:02 am

How long does a typical class action lawsuit take to play out? I’m guessing years but I really have no idea.

1. Christopher
          Christopher
          July 6, 2022 at 12:25 pm

Aaron, it really all depends on certain circumstances. But I would say on average, more than a year.

1. Avatar
            Aaron
            August 7, 2022 at 11:37 pm

Any updates on this class action suit? Or, know of a location where updates are provided?

2. Christopher
            Christopher
            August 12, 2022 at 11:14 am

Nothing current, but subscribe to this post and will add updates once received.

2. Avatar
      Michael Corey McCormick
      January 26, 2023 at 10:22 pm

Is there a firm handling this case. 550.00 a month sitting in the driveway needing a motor.

5. Avatar
    Bryan smallman
    July 8, 2022 at 8:07 am

2009 dodge ram 1500 5.7l hemi 148,000 miles lifter failure on cylinder #8. Replaced all lifters before hurting the cam, now 15,000 Miles later cylinder #2 lifter failure. What a joke dodge…..

6. Avatar
    Steven
    July 18, 2022 at 7:50 am

Iv owned an paid off my 2012 dodge 1500 hemi .on a 5 year payment plan my truck has just over 100k miles . I parked it trying to figure out the problem. Iv replaced the spark plugs the coil packs iv had it checked out from local shops nomatter what I do.. it has a ticking, knocking like sound. When the rpms are down it bougs out an starts shaking everywhere it says misfire on cylinder 3 when the codes are ran. It is missfiring so bad it shakes. Iv parked it still trying to find out what it is.. bt everything the lawsuit against them says is exactly what is wrong with My truck so they atleasf have to fix it or reimburse my money I’m out this has been ongoing for years now an has gotten to the point I can’t drive it

7. Avatar
    Todd
    July 20, 2022 at 11:34 am

190,000 on my 2014 ram 1500. Just got done replacing the cam, lifters and all associated parts. Ticks more now than before.
    Hoping this lawsuit actually pays out.

8. Avatar
    Craig Richards
    July 25, 2022 at 9:44 pm

My 2020 ram 1500 has only done 35,000 kilometres and the tick has started

9. Avatar
    Jon Woods
    August 3, 2022 at 12:43 pm

2014 ram 1500. Just over 100,000km which is pretty low for an 8 year old truck. “Hemi tick” started very mildly at about 70k only on the passenger side. By now its both sides and there seems to be some minor power loss. Been told since way before warranty was up that its fine and normal. As soon as warranty was up my dealer said I should let them fix the studs….weird. As of yet there has been no catastrophic issues but I feel like its just a waiting game.

10. Avatar
    Gary
    August 10, 2022 at 2:45 pm

I have a 2017 dodge challenger same issue I have a lifter tick I bought the car at a certified dealer and only put 200 miles on it now the dealer is avoiding my calls🤬

11. Avatar
    Carolyn Hoepf
    August 15, 2022 at 7:00 am

2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L. Just got it June of this year was driving on highway with my husband and 2 kids. It made a bad grinding noise totally shut itself down. Turns out we need a new engine. Only has 1,659 miles. Waited 6 months to get this car built drove it for just 2 months and now will be waiting once again bc I am told the engine is on back order.

12. Avatar
    Brent Perry
    August 26, 2022 at 3:36 pm

Hello Christopher,
    I have a 2012 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 tick… If I read correctly, this lawsuit does not apply to the 2012 year (only 2014 and up). Is there a reason other years with the exact same problem are not being included? Thanks for your time and effort, Brent.

1. Christopher
      Christopher
      August 29, 2022 at 9:35 am

Not sure honestly Brent, but suspect it has something to do with the warranty.

13. Avatar
    Bobby conley
    September 5, 2022 at 9:01 pm

2015 ram 1500 5.7 hemi , we just put a motor in it due to the lifter in cylinder 3 went out and bent the rods

14. Avatar
    Katelyn Salter
    September 9, 2022 at 10:52 am

Yea got a 2015 Dodge Charger 5.7 and at 96k started the hemi tick and a week later started the misfire and power loss. Now having to do a top and bottom rebuild to get her back on top.

15. Avatar
    Stephen Hughes
    September 17, 2022 at 11:47 am

Thanks for the information, Christopher. My meticulous maintained 07 Hemi 5.7 had camshaft failure and metal in motor at 200,000 KM during the heat dome of July 2021. Stranded on the highway..no noise or symptom or ticks. Bought a brand-new Canadian Crate Engine built by Dodge. Been at the shop for 8 Months now. Leaking rear main seal on brand new motor with less than 100KM on it. Lost Transmission, Speedometer and ABS Control module in process. F you too Dodge~!~ Will another Brand-New Motor be just as good? I don’t want it anymore as I cannot trust it to be a safe and reliable product. The money wasted would have bought me a better more reliable vehicle and I would still be in business and sleeping at night instead of chewing on my pillows with rage.

16. Avatar
    Trevor Finch
    October 2, 2022 at 9:11 pm

I have a 2013 ram 1500 with the same issues. ECO doesn’t work, loss of power, shaking while driving at low RPM and misfire in cylinder 3. Replaced all spark plugs and coil packs which did nothing. Cam and lifters need replaced but a new motor from a different company with a 100000 mile warranty is almost the same price and sounds better than replacing with a dodge motor that will have the same issues. This is definitely a problem that Chrysler needs to address instead of trying to keep it hidden

17. Avatar
    Susan
    October 13, 2022 at 1:27 pm

Thanks for posting this information. My husband and I bought a 2017 RAM 1500 5.7 HEMI brand new and paid cash. Kept up oil changes every 10k, the truck only has 39k on it. It just started tapping. Paid for the synthetic oil changes and this noise has us very concerned. I subscribed, and appreciate the detailed information posted here. Very informative. Thank you!

18. Avatar
    Ronda K
    October 31, 2022 at 3:33 pm

2017 2500hd just over 80,000 and it left me stranded in a middle of an intersection. Cam and lifters went out, no notice, no ticking, nothing. Still not repaired, been about a month so far. Piece of junk if you ask me. I live in Michigan, can we be a part of this lawsuit, if so how?

19. Avatar
    David Leas
    November 1, 2022 at 4:12 pm

I am now in the same situation with my 2016 Laramie Longhorn 2500 4×4. As soon as the tick started, I parked it. It has been started once for a mechanic. We find no shavings in the oil but it will cost more than $2000 in parts, and an additional $1500 in labor unless we fix it ourselves. Is there a status on this class action?

20. Avatar
    Jim Koury
    November 3, 2022 at 4:44 pm

I just dropped $5k to replace cam, lifters, pushrods and all the stuff that goes with it. Who are the attorneys that filed and how do I get involved?

21. Avatar
    John
    November 7, 2022 at 2:58 pm

I have a 2012 Chrysler 300 SRT 8. It has 70,000 miles on it. Just started ticking. I talked with the Dealer this morning and was told that it was probably a seized lifter. They want $600 to tell me if it can be rebuilt or if I need to replace the engine.

22. Avatar
    Jason
    November 18, 2022 at 3:01 pm

2015 Dodge Durango Citadel 5.7L, ticking and now diagnoses of engine replacement. Sitting in a shop and will cost more than $11k for a reman…..subscribed and eager to join any class action.

23. Avatar
    Greg
    November 23, 2022 at 7:40 am

2014 3500 6.4 with 70,000 miles. My engine is shot metal all through it.

24. Avatar
    Bob
    November 28, 2022 at 8:00 pm

2022 hemi 5.7 less than 2000 miles engine seized. Engine replaced.

25. Avatar
    Sal Diliberto
    December 5, 2022 at 3:00 pm

Not quite sure whom to contact to get on the class action lawsuit since NONE of the attorney’s I’ve contacted in CA, FLA, and PA know anything about this – or simply do NOT return calls. Any help from anyone on this? Or is this a scam????

1. Christopher
      Christopher
      December 6, 2022 at 7:53 am

Hi Sal, we typically do not make public the attorneys leading these cases. However, if you look through the complaint document attached to this post, you will find Berger Montague PC, Capstone APC, Kopelowitz Ostrow Ferguson Weiselberg Gilbert, and Gordon & Partners, P.A. are the firms representing the plaintiffs: SHAWN PETR, MIKE FAIRCHILD, DAVID KINCHEN. Hope this helps!

26. Avatar
    Rick Hobson
    December 6, 2022 at 7:36 pm

Same issue 2015 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi. Ticking started then engine cut out going down highway. Then ran ok for a month but constant ticking. Got to checking and decided to trade truck. 162000 miles. 4500 allowed for trade in. Paid truck off in June 2022 and had issue in July 2022. On top of all of that…truck came with a lifetime power train warranty. 2 years into payments Chrysler informed me they would NOT honor lifetime warranty any longer. What a crappy company. NEVER WILL I PURCHASE ANOTHER RAM DODGE CHRYSLER OR FIAT POS AGAIN. This 40 thousand dollar truck cost me about 65000. They should reimburse each and everyone of us the full cost to us!

27. Avatar
    Marshall Ward
    December 13, 2022 at 12:00 am

I am actually standing over my son’s 3rd motor for this truck that I am refreshing from a junkyard because his other motors were completely shelled when they dropped their valve seats causing catastrophic engine failure and as a certified mechanic i am more than sure that even this engine that I have several man hours invested not to mention thousands of dollars because no engine companies sell remaned 5.7L Hemis because there are no rebuildable cores out there because when they blow, and they will the entire motor becomes a boat anchor. We recently also installed my father-in-laws 2nd motor that has had the famous hemi tick since day one. Not to mention both vehicles are one their 2nd transmission and luckily my father-in-laws truck is only it’s 3rd rear differential because my son’s truck is on it’s 7th right now. What happened to the days when dodge ruled the drag strips and the entire driveline was once quoted in an old hot-rod issue as the one to beat and indestructible. Someone needs to take responsibility for allowing this problem to go on a long as it has and knowingly continued to allow these vehicles to be built and sold under those conditions because it was more about profits than pride to them.

1. Avatar
      Mikey B
      December 26, 2022 at 3:25 pm

I’m pissed, my engine blew at 150,740 I think, real close to that. Then I proceeded to get it rebuilt, 9 k later! I only got 35k and some change before it started knocking in lower end of engine! I’m pissed! I still owe on a grip as well! I’m jumping onto this lawsuit for sure!

28. Avatar
    Amanda MacShane
    December 30, 2022 at 8:15 am

I have a 2015 challenger with a 6.4L at 74k my motor went sending metal throughout..this happened in march of 22…already on My 2nd motor and not even 10k in this motor is acting worst than the first one loss of power, surging and runs rough. Had the transmission replaced as well the cost of this was 23k under warranty but after the installation I was having problems and dealership ignored me till I ran out of warranty in July 22.. now there telling me there’s nothing wrong with it and I’d have to pay out of pocket..I still owe on this car and regret the day I bought it should’ve stuck to my camaros…

29. Avatar
    Phil Sargent
    January 2, 2023 at 11:18 am

2021 Ram 2500 with 6.4 Hemi in late October and 6 weeks later it’s in the shop with a $6200 estimate due to failed lifters and cam shaft.

30. Avatar
    Joshua Baumann
    January 2, 2023 at 11:49 am

I have a 2016 ram 1500 5.7 liter not even 87000 miles on it it has lifter failure and the dealer wants 14000 dollars to fix it and I just bought it a month and half ago

31. Avatar
    Justin
    January 17, 2023 at 9:53 pm

2012 Chrysler 300c. Remote started Christmas day to head home after family gathering. Ran for less than 30 seconds and shut off. Went out to manual start, check engine light and a bad shake. Ran code, misfire cylinder #2. Took it to shop on the Tuesday when everything was open again. Had maintenance done with spark plugs and coil packs test. Loud tick with new plugs. Got a diagnosis done, Camshaft lobe warped, Lifters worn and bent push-rods. Now borrowing a vehicle until repairs or find a cheap vehicle in mean time. Merry Christmas to me! Not sure how I feel about replacing with OEM parts to risk it happening again. This has been a stressful start to a new year.

32. Avatar
    Tyler young
    January 17, 2023 at 10:53 pm

I have a 2015 grand cherokee SRT. 106k miles on it. Brought it in dealership with P0300, P0304 missfire codes. Thought was going to be spark plugs. Engine making noise clearly. Quoted new engine due to cylinder failure, metal throughout.
    This is ridic. Extended service place being sketchy & denying claim due to maintenance which is complete horse shit. I need to know what to do to get involved with this… I can’t afford a new engine now owe money on the car still.

33. Avatar
    Angel Flores
    January 29, 2023 at 1:52 am

2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. Oregon.
    It started with the Hemi tick, there was a loud knock and rattling while driving 65mph, but instantly kept driving fine until I parked it and started it back on it was very rough.
    Mechanic replaced camshaft and lifters but debris ended up in the engine.
    I had all these parts replaced by a certified mechanic twice but he suggested the engine will have to be replaced at some point since debris likely fell inside the engine. Now there’s a burnt smell every time I use the truck. Spent over 3k.