GM Truck and SUV Paint Defect – What You Need To Know

GM Truck and SUV Paint Defect – What You Need To Know

If you’re the owner of a 2015-2019 GM truck or SUV, there’s something you need to know. A class action lawsuit has been filed against General Motors over paint defects affecting these vehicles. The plaintiffs also allege that GM knew about the defect and failed to take corrective action. The lawsuit Riley, et al., vs. General Motors LLC has been filed in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida, and represents owners from Florida and Tennessee.

Read on for more information about the GM truck paint defect lawsuit and what it could mean for affected owners.

GM Peeling Paint Lawsuit Details

GM owners allege the paint on their vehicles is prone to peeling, bubbling, flaking and blistering. The suit claims the paint begins to fail without any external or environmental influence. The defect as stated in the lawsuit, seems to suggest the issue is with the inability of the paint and clear coat to properly bond due to their opposing chemical properties. As a result, the paint is unable to adhere to the surface and begins to bubble and flake exposing the primer sealer.

Peeling Paint More Than Just An Eyesore

Besides being visually unappealing–bubbling, peeling and flaking paint exposes the surface it was designed to protect. If left unrepaired, paint defects can eventually lead to rust further degrading the appearance of the car. Owners claim they have witnessed the finish on their GM trucks and SUVs deteriorate at an alarming rate over recent years. They are now seeking compensation for their losses, and are calling on GM to recall all vehicles affected by the paint defect.

The suit also claims GM was aware of the paint defects, but did not inform it’s customers and continued to market and sell the vehicles.

What Some Owners are Saying About Their GM Truck Paint Problems

Chevy Silverado Paint Issues
2014 GMC SLT Truck Paint Peeling
2017 GMC Sierra Paint Peeling

Status of the GM Truck and SUV Paint Defect Class Action

Class Action Currently Active

The lawsuit (Riley, et al., vs. General Motors LLC) has been filed in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida, and represents owners from Florida and Tennessee.

Which GM Models Are Affected?

Vehicles named in the suit include the 2015 through 2019 Chevy Silverado, Suburban and Tahoe; and GMC Yukon, Yukon XL, and Sierra.

Decreased Value of Vehicles Due to Paint Defect

The lawsuit claims the paint defect has decreased the resale value of these vehicles. Additionally, owners state that a repaint will not suffice, as its near impossible for a body shop to match the finish applied by paint robots at the factory. As a result, the suit calls on GM to repurchase all affected vehicles at full cost, and reimburse lessees for the amount paid toward their leases. A request to recall all known GM models with defective paint has also been included in the suit.

Questions About This Lawsuit?

MyCarVoice.com is not counsel or the settlement administrator in this class action investigation. Our goal is to inform owners of these vehicles of the current lawsuit.

This post will be updated as more information is officially announced. Please consider subscribing to this post for critical updates.

Final Thoughts

The lawsuit against GM alleges that the automaker knew about the paint defects for years and did nothing to correct them. This is not the first time GM has been in hot water over its vehicles. The company is currently facing several lawsuits for defects with it’s 8L45 and 8L90 transmissions. What do you think of the allegations against GM in this case? Let us know what you think in the comments below.

Please submit your GM Truck or SUV Car Complaint

Last Updated on March 28, 2022

20 thoughts on “GM Truck and SUV Paint Defect – What You Need To Know

1. Avatar
    Kristopher Phillips
    May 8, 2022 at 7:36 pm

How does a person join this lawsuit in Tennessee? If anyone knows please let me know. My 2015 Tahoe has the same issues. I’ve paid out of pocket to repair the hood and now the roof is blistering. What a crock to spend this much money on a vehicle just to have to repaint it in 6 years.

1. Christopher
      Christopher
      May 9, 2022 at 7:32 am

You don’t need to do anything, as you are automatically part of the suit unless you write a letter opting out. But I would either submit your car complaint here, or subscribe to this post. This way when news becomes available, you will be notified.

2. Avatar
    Martez Nixon
    May 16, 2022 at 5:32 pm

My brother and I both have the issues with the transmission and paint this really needs to be fixed and GM needs to fix their defects

3. Avatar
    Norma J. Williams
    May 23, 2022 at 3:16 pm

My black 2016 GMC YUKON XL, has paint bubbling up …on the hood especially on the hood! Scratches and fading..I took it to the GMC dealer they told me not to buy another black vehicle.. That this years vehicle had paint problems.. it was beautiful coming off the lot.. I am highly upset!

4. Avatar
    Debbie
    May 28, 2022 at 7:38 pm

I have a 2016 Chevy suburban with 60000 miles. I was thinking of buying a new car because the paint is starting to look so bad. A manager at a Chevy dealership said the car was only worth $27000 because they had to deduct money because the paint looked so bad. I couldn’t believe it. When I said it was their paint, he said “ not my problem”.

5. Avatar
    Debbie
    May 29, 2022 at 1:21 am

My 2016 red. Suburban has fading and scratchy looking paint. The car looks 20 years old. I have called Chevy and the dealer that sold it to me and they don’t even want to talk to me. Today I was picking up my daughter at her Chevy. Dealer and while waiting talked to a salesman. I told him I was thinking of trading the car in, so he took it to his manager. The manager said he could only give me $27000 because the paint job looked so bad. I paid $80000 for this car. To say I’m upset is an understatement.

6. Avatar
    William Gittings
    May 30, 2022 at 10:30 am

I’m having the same problem. The paint on my 2016 Sierra is just falling off. I purchased it as a certified preowned, will it still be covered in the lawsuit?

7. Avatar
    Brian D.
    June 15, 2022 at 2:13 pm

2015 Chevy Silverado – Paint peeling on hood, windshield post, and around back door windows. I tried working with GM and the dealer when I started noticing a couple of years ago. Absolutely no help. I hope they make this right.

1. Avatar
      Jonathan
      September 3, 2022 at 1:46 pm

Brian, this is EXACTLY the same thing happening on my 2015 silverado

8. Avatar
    Tamy
    June 20, 2022 at 2:59 pm

Is there a lawsuit in Texas, because I have the peeling paint issue on my 2019 Tahoe

9. Avatar
    Chris Goad
    June 22, 2022 at 8:35 am

I have a 2013 Cadillac Escalade ESV that has the same paint peeling issue that should be included in this class action. I reported this to GM and they denied the claim. How would I go about getting my information to the attorneys that are dealing with GM?

10. Avatar
    Irma Castro
    July 19, 2022 at 7:17 pm

I purchased a Chevy Tahoe in 2015. The paint started fading within the first couple of years. The hood looks very faded, old and scratched. Glad to hear a lawsuit has been filed.

11. Avatar
    Gloria Williams
    July 26, 2022 at 8:01 pm

I just noticed yesterday that my 2015 Terrain is starting to faded I am so upset this is my first new car I have ever bought everything else was used I know this paint should last longer

12. Avatar
    M Schaffranek
    August 8, 2022 at 5:10 pm

I took my 2016 Chevy suburban (black) with 69k miles to the dealership as I noticed the paint issues on the hood, roof and side mirrors. The manager told me that after 4 – 5 years the clear coat goes bad. I found today that my paint protection warranty ran out in January 2022 so I would need to pay $2,300 to get it fixed. I paid a lot of money for this car and GM knows about this problem and needs to fix it. I want to to stay on top of this and my SUV definitely needs to be on the list. We are in Virginia.

13. Avatar
    Beth Whiteside
    August 24, 2022 at 7:33 pm

I am having the same problem with my 2018 black Yukon xl Denali. We bought it brand new. The clear coat is gone on the hood and roof. I spoke with GM and the dealership. GM did start a case number and told me to get and estimate at the dealership. I did that today. They are not promising to pay for it. My bumper to bumper warrant expired in December 2021. I have 34k miles on it and To say I am upset is an understatement.

14. Avatar
    Roland Arevalos
    September 3, 2022 at 4:27 pm

I have 2017 yukon hood is fogging up in San Antonio Texas who can I call.

15. Avatar
    Christina Barnes
    September 5, 2022 at 4:56 am

The clear coat on my 2015 Suburban started to fade after 3 years. Dealer told me that I needed to take better care of my car. I have a 2013 Malibu and a 2010 Lexus that still look great. This is definitely a defect that GM needs to help us with. The whole value of my car is cut in half.

16. Avatar
    Robert
    September 13, 2022 at 4:39 pm

I have a 2016 Chevy Tahoe tungsten Gray and the hood is all scratched and Faded. Is there any update on this lawsuit?

17. Avatar
    Marcie
    September 17, 2022 at 10:03 am

My 2017 Yukon is doing the same thing. I hope they fix this. Watching and waiting for an outcome from GMC

18. Avatar
    Dawn Schmidt
    September 18, 2022 at 5:06 pm

My 2017 Chevy Silverado XLT started peeling about a month ago. I bought this truck brand new it has 59,760 miles on it and is peeling behind the passenger side back window, on the roof just above the windshield and on the driver side windshield support.