Swedish car manufacturer Volvo has issued a global recall on its vehicles due to the risk of air bag components bursting into metal shards that could pierce your body and cause injuries. This particular complaint led at least one person’s death, but there are no reports yet regarding any other fatalities caused by this issue in either North America or Europe since it only occurred recently within these regions.
In a letter to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in America, Volvo said that it is recalling around 260k cars nationwide.
The company is warning drivers of the dangers posed by their inflator. The letter states the driver’s air bag may explode during deployment, due to propellant degradation that occurs after long-term exposure in high humidity or hot conditions.
It goes on to say an explosion can result in sharp metal shards hitting the driver or other occupants, resulting in serious injury or death.
Volvo is recalling two car models, the S80 car produced between 2001 and 2006 and the S60 vehicles produced between 2001 and 2009. Dealers will install a new air bag in the impacted cars for free, the company added.
Additionally, in a safety recall report submitted to the National Highway Authority, Volvo said that they have knowledge of at least one person dying due an accident related air bag.
- Vehicles recalled: Volvo S80 cars built from 2001 to 2006, and S60 cars built between 2001 and 2009.
- NHTSA campaign number: 21V766000. Volvo’s number for this recall is R10125.
- The problem: The driver’s air bag inflator may explode during deployment, due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to high absolute humidity, high temperatures, and high temperature cycling.
- The fix: Dealers will replace the driver’s air bag, free of charge.
- How to contact the manufacturer: Owners may contact Volvo Car customer service at 1-800-458-1552.
Volvo dealers are ready to remedy this recall, so if you own a 2001-2006 S80 or 2001-2009 S60, please contact your local Volvo dealer to schedule your appointment.